Another Kiwi with another KS108 based GLCD attempt

si_kerr

Hi there,

Like rodmcm posted a few days ago, I'm having difficulty getting ANY sort of data to display on my KS108 based 128x64 GLCD. Where Rod is using the 18X with a shift register, I'm using a 28X1, with outputs 0-7 directly corresponding to D0-D7 on the data bus to the GLCD.

The GLCD is powered correctly, and I have adjusted the contrast and can see a definite difference between the active pixel area and the surrounding screen.

What is the best way to initialise the screen?

Attachments

I am unable to offer you any advice on how you may be able achieve sucsess, but if all else fails, you could consider using a dedicated driver.

The GLIC-K1 made by FGC is a preprogrammed PIC, and is specifically designed to interface with a Picaxe and a 128*64 graphic LCD driven by KS0108 controllers.

I am in the process of using this method, and it is absoloutely fantastic.

kevrus

Cosmic, are you using the Rev-ed kit or haveyou got just the pre-programmed pic? If the latter, did you get the pic from Rev-ed or FGC?

Because of an agreement that I have with FGC, may anybody wanting to know more information PM me but only if you are keenly interested in making a purchase.

si_kerr

Yeah, played with that tool - very helpful. I have managed to intermittently get half dark, half light, indicating that my lcdON subroutine occasionally works. When I set the lcdDI pin high and run my code, the corresponding pin remains low, regardless of what I do.

I'm also gonna rewire my breadboard. I'm gonna butcher an IDE ribbon cable to create a tidy D0-D7 bus.

Right, I've tidied up my wiring, including a DIY 8-pin ribbon cable and figured out my CS pins are active HIGH, where I thought they were active LOW. Now I get the output I was expecting from my code, i.e. alternating lines of black and white pixels.

Next step is to write a few more subroutines, then hook up some eeprom so I can display things letter by letter instead of pixel by pixel.

Last edited:

westaust55

Hi there,

Like rodmcm posted a few days ago, I'm having difficulty getting ANY sort of data to display on my KS108 based 128x64 GLCD. Where Rod is using the 18X with a shift register, I'm using a 28X1, with outputs 0-7 directly corresponding to D0-D7 on the data bus to the GLCD.

The GLCD is powered correctly, and I have adjusted the contrast and can see a definite difference between the active pixel area and the surrounding screen.

What is the best way to initialise the screen?

Do you have exactly the same gLCD as RODMCM?

Looking quickly at your program, I see no reference to using the reset signal
You mention it at this line
Code:
'17: RET		+5V High for normal operation, grounded to reset
Reset (RST is usual abbreviation) usually does a few initialisation tasks

Have you tried to drive the reset pin LOW for a few ms then back to HIGH?

Have you tried RODMCM's code?

He finally found his LCD voltage needed to be made slightly negative. He did not mention a need for further chages to his code but had noted to him that he was holding the RESET line low instead of switching back to HIGH.