Amp / H-bridge ?

Dippy

I really don't know. Depends on internal design, but it may do something.

It's designed as an Audio amp and the Data Sheet doesn't mention any non-audio applications. Some things in life aren't transferrable.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/51452.pdf

Do you feel it's cheap enough to have a play with?
It may be just the jobby...

BeanieBots

I had a fairly good look and couldn't find a spec for bandwidth anywhere.
On those grounds alone I'd not consider it even for audio:mad:

All the example circuits are AC coupled.
It MIGHT be OK with DC, only a test will tell.

gbrusseau

The graph in the datasheet goes up to 20 khz so those nice square PWM pulses will probably look more like sine waves, even if its DC coupled. I'm guessing you can't DC couple a digital input pulse without a very large resistor in series with the input for impedance matching and then you may be faced with to low an input voltage and circuit capacitance then becomes more significant.

boriz

I’m just running it up the flag pole to see who salutes. I’m thinking that an op-amp is an op-amp. It’s a dual ‘power op-amp’, so it can handle large currents. What’s the difference between a 4ohm speaker and a 4ohm motor?

I’d order some, but I’m poor at the moment.

Looks like a bargain to me...

BeanieBots

I've certainly used 'power op-amps' for driving motors and they work very well for small motors. (don't forget, they are linear and so dissipate a lot of energy).
My sole concern with that one is that the datasheet does not provide enough information to know if it is suitable.

Most audio amplifiers would NOT work because they are AC coupled.

gengis

I'd go for it . . . Nothing in the data sheet indicates it wouldn't work. Presumably you want to direct couple the input and use it for PWM drive? The price is right. It makes a neat little package with a painless way to get an H bridge single supply bi-directional motor driver. Should be good to tinker with. I use audio amps for motor drivers frequently but have only used them in the linear range for things like positioning applications with feedback pots (using direct coupling - offset to 1/2 the power supply voltage).

Dippy

Whats the carriage costs?
50 cents... poor at the moment?

Wait til they come down to 49 cents :)

boriz

When I say poor, I mean really poor. Especially since my energy bill just inexplicably doubled. Put it this way, if it wasn’t for the ‘almost out of date’ reduced price food section in Tesco, I might not even have an internet connection. Living on benefits in the UK is not funny.