8M or 18M chip

Andrew Cowan

Yes.

But not using built in I2C commands - those are available on X, X1 and X2 parts only. Have a search on the forum for bit-banging I2C - there are a number of theads on it.

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you want to access I2C devices it will be far easier if you choose a PICAXE which supports I2C commands. That will be particularly true if you have little or no experience of bit-banging software or I2C protocol use. If you do have such experience, or are prepared to put the effort in and learn about those, it can be done but there will be limitations to what you can achieve.

westaust55

Since were were already considering an 18M, suggest that you go for the 18X instead.

Same IO capabilities, there may be a few commands the "M" series has that the X parts do not but, the "X" does have the eXtra's such as:
- 2048 bytes of program memory in stead of just 256,
- i2c communications comamnds that enable you to conenct EEPPROM, F-RAM, DS1307/DS1338 real time clocks, compass modules, speech modules, and a host more devices.

kewakl

Since were were already considering an 18M, suggest that you go for the 18X instead.

Same IO capabilities, there may be a few commands the "M" series has that the X parts do not but, the "X" does have the eXtra's such as:
- 2048 bytes of program memory in stead of just 256,
- i2c communications comamnds that enable you to conenct EEPPROM, F-RAM, DS1307/DS1338 real time clocks, compass modules, speech modules, and a host more devices.
them fiendishly flailing fingers again :D
No, just yanking your chain, Westy.
Seriously, I am considering F-RAM from RAMTRON. I am going to start a new post, just giving a heads-up.

westaust55

typo's galore

Hi Kewakl,

Not a problem. :)

Seems that my right hand types faster than my left hand so I often end up getting a few letters swapped around in words like command and connect.

Typing in that small window does not seem to help and I often only see the typos after I hit the POST key. :rolleyes: Have been known to read out aloud a paragraph I wrote but say exactly what I intended which was not what I wrote. :eek:

Sometime I type in MS Word first which helps me see the typos but sometime . . . . :rolleyes:

At the end of the day as long as they message gets through all should be happy

kewakl

Hi Kewakl,

Not a problem. :)

Seems that my right hand types faster than my left hand so I often end up getting a few letters swapped around in words like command and connect.

Typing in that small window does not seem to help and I often only see the typos after I hit the POST key. :rolleyes: Have been known to read out aloud a paragraph I wrote but say exactly what I intended which was not what I wrote. :eek:

Sometime I type in MS Word first which helps me see the typos but sometime . . . . :rolleyes:

At the end of the day as long as they message gets through all should be happy
Westy,
A bit of levity can go a long way-unless you are reading a specsheet!~
PLS do not look for the linked post, I had some difficulties, as noticed by PerthEng!
I will attempt to edit a sensible post later. It is past bedtime here in the U.S.
Anyway, it will be about FRAM and datalogging.
Thanks.

EDIT: I always try to reread before I post because I USUALLY press the spacebar before the last letter in a word. EX. Th efirst word is no tcorrect!

Last edited: