500mW RF module...

Grogster

Hi all.

I found this module, and am having a read through the datasheet.
http://www.hoperf.com/rf_fsk/rfm12bp.htm

The most obvious feature being the large 500mW output power.
The most disturbing feature(for me, anyway!) is that it is SPI interface by the look of it.

How hard is SPI, and can the PICAXE series work with SPI or is that a bit beyond them?

Dippy

Why not look in the BASIC Manual to see how to use SPI or SHIFT functions?

Both are fairly easy to use, it's usually the data bits/bytes/format/size that gets the brain into a muddle.... well, mine anyway.

manuka

Modest as may seem,being similar to the energy used by a classic filament flashlight, such RF transmitter power greatly exceeds the 25 mW 433 MHz ISM legal limits.

Grogster

I thought we are allowed 500mW?
I must be thinking of another frequency band - probably LPFM...

Even so, out in the middle of the wop-wops, no RSM inspector is going to care, and in that event, I will accept responsibility. :D

Might see what those modules are worth, and get a couple in(if not too expensive), and play with the SPI idea - MIGHT.

manuka

The man to contact about this could be the good Dr_A, as his past rural Adelaide irrigation etc needs seem akin to your own. After much experimentation, forum postings & wireless teeth gnashing he settled on some Yishi offerings. These were just on the power limit BUT blessed with a super sensitive receiver. You've not said if these HopeRF units of yours ARE correctly set up, nor where you live, nor if local 433 MHz interference is an issue. In some place this spectrum slice is filled with almost wall to wall NOISE...

For their price, these HopeRF transceivers are both good performers & easy to use. Stan.