28X1 communication in detail

Mr. I need help

the two chips can recieve a high command and output but cannot communicate with each other. First, I'll give you an overview of everything.

I'm making an air hockey table for my year 12 VCE Systems Engineering. I have a scorebard with 4 seven segment displays, two on each side, showing the score of both players. I have and infrared reciever and transmitter at each goal. When the puck goes into one of the goals the infrared transmitter is switched on, sending a high of 5 volts to physical pin2 to one chip and vica versa.

One chip has an infrared input, 2 seven segment displays, an output to the other chip and an input from the other chip.
The other chip has an infrared input, 2 seven segment displays, n output to the other chip, input from other chip and output to LEDs around the perimter of the table.

Each chip work perfectly as they both recieve a high from their infrared transmitter and the score changes up to 7, however i would like to have all the LEDs around the perimter flash when a player wins except because the chips wont communicate only the chip controlling one of the player's is connected to the LEDs so only when that particular player wins will the LEDs flash for the ending.

So when a player gets to seven I wrote a statement on chip 1: high portc 4
and on the other chip i had if porta pin1 = 1 then Ending, where ending was the flashing LEDs when a player won. I was also going to make the chip star again after this and send a high to the other chip and it would start agian as well.

Sorry if I'm not clear enouhg. So to answer your questions the chips do send highs and also reecieve highs but will not respond to each other. My teacher said something about maybe the one of the chips is making the input pin low so no command will get through. I'm not sure why this is happening as I am using the correct pins. Can u tell me what's wrong now????:confused::confused:

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

No doubt you are finding something like this is quite difficult to describe! I suggest you call one PICAXE A and the other PICAXE B. An option you have is to draw a diagramme and attach it to your post. Alternatively, do a sketch and photograph or scan the drawing.

While I don't fully understand your setup, I have a clue or two on why your communications may not always work. I suggest you work on the communication problem on its own first. Save your existing code for later use and create 2 programmes: one to send the Infrared signals and one for the IR receiver PICAXE.

You don't say exactly what you are trying to send from PICAXE A to PICAXE B. If it is just a single IR pulse, then the problem you have is that the receiving PICAXE B may be busy executing some other part of its code and doesn't detect the incoming pulse while it is happening. What are you using to send and receive the IR signals? The sender may be sending a simple "On/Off" pulse while to receiver could be expecting a pulse on a 38kHz carrier. The 3-terminal receivers described in the manuals expect a pulse on a 38kHz carrier.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I moved the schematic in #2 from its own separate posting to here as I presume this is what it relates to.