122 x 32 dot matrix lcd

lordloki

I am thinking of getting a 122 by 32 dot matrix lcd display to try to make an Aliens (movie) style 'alien tracker'. Is it possible to drive this? If so, how? If it takes multiple chips, fine. And refreshing the display every second or so is also fine.

tikeda

Which 122x32 display? What interface? Graphic LCD displays come in a few "flavors" in terms of basic interfacing.

Some don't have graphic controllers; they only have segment drivers. These have registers that need to be continuously updated or refreshed. Their timing synchronization requirements would make them difficult to interface with micros like Picaxes.

Some displays have graphic controllers that manage the LCD refreshing tasks. These typically have 8-bit data interfaces (+ other control lines). Google datasheets for chips like the SED1520, SED1335 or T6963C. Capabilities and features vary but pixel-level control is normally the minimum. Some of the Picaxe chips could run these displays.

Finally, there are graphic displays with serial interfaces. Or rather, other people have developed serial 'backpacks' that translate serial commands to the parallel interface of the graphic controllers. The may also add features like multiple graphics pages, drawing commands and custom character sets. These are very easy to control. Even the 08M could draw stuff on a serially-interfaced display.

Last edited:

lordloki

Ugg! I guess I really don't know what I want. I guess I have to research the display that is available at Altronics to see what is required.
Gee thanks for making me have to 'work' to actually achieve something.

papaof2

That display uses an SED1520 controller, which has an 8 bit parallel input. There is sample C code to drive it via a PC's parallel port here:
http://www.koders.com/c/fid37D6E603F0E7047DF2757629D88BE21E36F22AEC.aspx

If the display has RAM for the display data, you *might* be able to drive it with a PICAXE (maybe a 28X1 to have enough pins). If the display does not have its own RAM, you have to store the display data in the PICAXE and refresh the display frequently - which may not be possible with a PICAXE. Read the data sheet on the display.

John

MurrayJ

One of the Micro LED or Micro OLED displays at Dontronics would work well for this. They are serial colour displays so you only need to connect earth and a single serial wire to them from a picaxe.

http://www.dontronics-shop.com

It has commands for Circle, filled and unfilled rectangles, lines, text etc, and very easy to use. It even has a slot for a memory card so you can display pictures.

Last edited:

GreenLeader

That display uses an SED1520 controller, which has an 8 bit parallel input. ....
Altronics still have this display in stock and it would be ideal for one of my projects - are there any new thoughts on what's involved in driving it with a Picaxe? Anyone done it?