Getting Started

edulmes

Hello,

I am trying to organize a technology curriculum for middle and high school aged kids using the Picaxe to run simple circuits (start and stop motors, make blinking lights, etc.. simple stuff, i thought). I was referred by a colleague to the Picaxe system, and he said it was so simple to use that even the middle schoolers would have no problem with it.

The problem is that I don't know anything about electronics, and ordered 2 of the Picaxe 18 starter packs. Now, I have them in front of me wondering how to connect the power supply and an led.

I was told to purchase some screw terminals to make it easier to connect things to the inputs and outputs. I can solder the power leads directly to the board, but what rows of the i/o terminals do I solder the blocks on?

Could someone help me out with maybe a diagram of what each terminal on the board does?

Thanks for your help!

manuka

Time? Budget? Facilities? Resources? Kids well tamed? VENTILATION? Take home projects? Down under in NZ/Aust. solderless breadboards & 08Ms have become well established at this intro. level. See numerous (& near infamous !) approaches such as at =>www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz

IMHO "School boy" level hand soldering raises numerous confidence,equipment,resource & Health & Safety classroom issues, & is an acquired skill in itself for raw beginners. Typically I'd allow 8-10 hours training & practice JUST to get hand skills (including de-soldering) up to an acceptable level. Stan

edulmes

eclectic,

I saw that PDF before, and it kind of makes sense to me now. The right side of the board as shown in the diagrams (V2) is for the outputs, and the left side is the inputs, am I right? And if the outputs i need are only in the 3-5v range, i just hook up the power to thr V2 connections? I think this is making sense now!

We bought some 45 degree terminal blocks, but they don't fit side-by-side. Would it be better off using breadboards like some of manuka's pictures, or should we purchase some straight terminals so we can use the boards we have?

eclectic

"The right side ..the outputs, left side i...inputs? "
Yes. Ask your colleague about resistors on the analog ports.

"And if .. 3-5v range, ... V2 connections? I think this is making sense now!"

" Would it be better off using breadboards like some of manuka's pictures, or should we purchase some straight terminals so we can use the boards we have?"

Both.
Fit terminal blocks on both of the power inputs as well.
Then, use jumper leads to your breadboards.

e.