Build a BAS800?

Logic Rules

What is so special about the BAS800 that one cannot be built? I see many different types of PIC Programmers listed on the 'net', and kits to build some of them. Surely PICAXE would have all of the necessary parts. They might even supply a USB conversion.
Can I use some other programmer to load/convert/read assembler?
TIA

demonicpicaxeguy

the idea is that you buy one, as far as i am aware they work just like anyother serial pic programmer as for building one,

there are quite a few options but the pickit2 from microchip is a hard one to beat considering it's well supported and is built and designed by the same people who do the pic

i own 1 of these and haven't come across anything in the 16f series it can't program
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30668/article.html

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
What's special about the BAS800 is that it is proprietory and undocumented, especially when it comes to the serial interface control protocol. It's a Rev-Ed commercial decision to tie Programming Editor users to the BAS800. The Programming Editor will not work with anything but BAS800. Likewise, BAS800 cannot be used with any programming software I'm aware of other than the Programming Editor.

There's nothing to stop you using the Programming Editor to create and assemble Assembly Programs and third party tools to burn your PICmicro, but conversion of Basic to Assembler is only available to those using BAS800 and do not expect integration of third party tools with the Programming Editor itself.

I too would recommend Pickit2. It's not as cheap as some programmer designs on the net but is not limited to just one or a small range of PICmicro devices. It supports devices which I have not seen net programmers or other burning software support. It's not necessary to install the whole MPLAB IDE to use it as it comes with standalone control software.

Logic Rules

Thanks guys,
I guess I'm relegated to the Basic language of the Programming Editor until my budget increases. It's a shame though how the PICAXE products have increased in price, and other PIC products are lowering their prices. I like the PICAXE products but I wish they had a bit more flexibility.
Cya