programmer for non-commercial use only?

zovirl

From the software download page:
"The Programming Editor software is free to educational and home users (non-commercial use)."

What do I do if I want to sell devices with the picaxe chip in them? Switch to pics instead? Use the crocodile software?

demonicpicaxeguy

i take it as if you do use it for commercial use then your liable for anything that goes wrong with it it is primarily intended as an educational/hobbyist product when it all boils down to it , i would suggest sending an email to rev-ed and asking them for more details on the topic

steliosm

Well, I'm afraid that you will have to purchase a commercial licence if you intend to sell programmed PicAxe chips included in your design.

BrendanP

What are they going to do, send the Gestapo around? It's like being gay in the american army, don't ask, don't tell.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Well, I'm afraid that you will have to purchase a commercial licence if you intend to sell programmed PicAxe chips included in your design.
The "The Programming Editor software is free to educational and home users (non-commercial use)" is a little confusing, and I also read it that commercial users would not be able to use the Programming Editor for free but would need to pay for some sort of license. That's not correct - See Technical's response in ...

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=597&highlight=commercial+product

What do I do if I want to sell devices with the picaxe chip in them?
There are no restrictions or royalties requested for PICAXE's used in commercial products and you don't need any licence to undertake commercial development or use teh Programing Editor to create programs for use in commercial products. As long as you are not shipping the Programming Editor with your product there are no obstacles.

You'll need product liability cover, certification and so on for a PICAXE-based product just as you would with any product, but that's the business side of things. The PICAXE is used in commercial product but Rev-Ed will not supply details of their commercial customers.

The only think I would ask is that if asking for help on a commercial product in the forums you are up-front about that. Firstly it helps people judge the 'skill level' a response can be targeted at, and it's only fair to let people know that their free help is being used to make you a profit. It's only fair to let them decide how much help they are willing to give. PICAXE usage help will always be forthcoming and product design help has been given to other commercial users. As long as you aren't looking to rip people off by getting your code written for free, you should find a lot of help.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
What are they going to do, send the Gestapo around? It's like being gay in the american army, don't ask, don't tell.
There's firstly the moral issue and how would you feel knowing that the company you are buying from flouts legal requirements ? How would you feel if it were your software having been used without payment ? Both are rhetorical questions for 'reflection upon'.

The second issue is getting caught out.

It only needs one snitch to tell the company one should have got a license from that a product is being used without a license for a whole world of legal **** to come tumbling down on the manufacturing company. That can result in having to pay the licence and royalty fees anyway, embargoes placed on shipments, punitive damages and the company will be dragged through the mud and may even go out of business. Disgruntled employees ( 'they took the free coffee away' ) make good snitches.

I would always tell individuals and companies to fulfil their moral and legal duties and obligations but do appreciate that home and hobby users are a completely different kettle of fish to commercial abusers. No need for a debate on 'software piracy' for home and personal use; what I say in public will remain the same.

zovirl

Thanks, that was most helpful.

The only think I would ask is that if asking for help on a commercial product in the forums you are up-front about that. Firstly it helps people judge the 'skill level' a response can be targeted at, and it's only fair to let people know that their free help is being used to make you a profit. It's only fair to let them decide how much help they are willing to give. PICAXE usage help will always be forthcoming and product design help has been given to other commercial users. As long as you aren't looking to rip people off by getting your code written for free, you should find a lot of help.
Yep, that makes sense. I'm certainly not at the point of developing a commercial product yet, I just wanted to make sure I understood the potential of the chip.