Connecting Picaxe chips together

TricksDrummer

I've done a quick search on this but couldnt really find anything, but is it posible to connect picaxe chips together? ie transfering data for motor control, LED operation etc... cheers

moxhamj

Yes you can very easily via serial connections. Look at Serin and Serout. Only uses one pin on each picaxe. The only catch is that Serin hangs the picaxe till it gets data, so you need some sort of communication protocol - eg send Serout once every 10 seconds, and the Serin picaxe only starts waiting for this data at 9.5 seconds.

manuka

Yes- it's indeed easy, & with "Dual Core" the flavour of the month time we rustled up a Picaxe equivalent. I'm actually working on a 08M based general approach to this at present, to suit a SiChip article. Stan

premelec

Manuka, I wonder if there is a published folder of the PICAXE SiChips articles you've written... I've never seen the magazine - in USA... thanks...

manuka

I first rolled these out early 2003,& hosted article software etc at a support site=> www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz .

Things became dated pretty quickly I'm afraid- some of that material is now common knowledge even to newbies. SiChip <A href='http://www.siliconchip.com.au ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> holds copyright &amp; in fact has all articles on line, although some are still &quot;teasers&quot;.

I ponder some <b>pictorial </b> text in fact ...

moxhamj

It is a pity Silicon Chip is not more widely available. I'd seriously think of subscribing, if only for the articles written by Manuka. Dare I say it, but Manuka is the person almost solely responsible for the popularity of the picaxe south of the equator, mainly because of the clear and concise articles he writes. It was one of his articles showing the ease of serial communications that prompted me to buy my first picaxe.

whizzer

Hang on there Doc&#8230;!

Silicon Chip magazine IS widely available! Subscriptions for the on-line version are available for anyone on the web (although a broadband connection would be the best means to receive it).

The printed version is also available globally &amp; airmail is used to dispatch to all international destinations.

And no, I have no connection with the magazine, I just enjoy getting my copy each month since there is a wide variety of interesting subjects presented, and they provide some really excellent constructional projects also -for people of all skill levels.

And the humour of the &#8216;Serviceman&#8217;s Log&#8217; is always good for a smile while at the same time providing an interesting read. I&#8217;m still chucking over the story of the lil&#8217; ole lady&#8217;s microwave oven: <i>&#8220;&#8230;as I removed the casing from the microwave, there was a huge rustling sound as a thousand cockroaches ducked for cover&#8221;. </i> And the part about how the lil&#8217; ole lady had trouble finding the serviceman&#8217;s shop was also very funny.

The Mag is a good read all round and provides items of interest for newbies right through to engineers. Highly recommended.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We agree, our airmail hard copy arrives almost the same day in the UK as it hits the shops in Australia!

moxhamj

Well I stand corrected but Premelec said he hadn't seen Silicon Chip in the US. My copies go out into my medical practice waiting room where they invariably end up being given to patients. The exceptions are all the magazines with articles by Manuka. They go in a special reference file. I'm looking forward to &quot;dual core&quot; articles with two 08s chatting via serial comms.

premelec

Well... I subscribe to Circuit Cellar, QST, QEX and a bunch of electronics trade pubs and see Elector in my local magazine shop at times - I was hoping for PICAXE only articles. I'm over informed and brain getting old [70]need to limit my appetite for literature so I can actually build stuff :) So many possibilities!