Hacking an MP3 Player Function Buttons

Michael 2727

Has anyone tried this and what were the results e.g.
voltages across the switches and input voltages of supply
Max speed response time of switches and any
mods needed to
speed it up e.g remove caps etc.
Or any other interesting tales they would like to share.

alimauro

i used one in a halloween prop one year. I used a generic one from brandsmart usa cost was 12.00 us for a 128meg unit. But sadly all i did was use a relay board to activate and then only to play a loop. There was 1 volt variable (it wasnt constant)measured across the contacts for the play button. unit runs on 3 aaa. but others are available. In store price, online may be higher.

Michael 2727

Just gathering ideas at the moment.
I have 2 Cybot chasis, motors and H-Bridge
driver PCBs. Maybe a Darlek in the making.
I have a voice modulator from a kids toy
called a "warspeak" was thinking if I could
hack a cheapie MP3 player and load about
40 files and use an 08M via IR module to filck
up and down the menu it would make a good
bank of sounds etc.
The unit I had in mind <A href='http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/sleek-compact-mp3-player/' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>
I think it's the same unit Jaycar have sold
for the last couple of years.
No sence in destroying an expensive unit in
case it doesn't work.
I'm hoping an internal DC to DC converter will increase the voltage from 1.5v to something
closer to logic level across the switches
where a 2N7000 MOSFET could be used.
There may be switching Max speed issues to sort out first.

alimauro

i have a much better idea if your interested,
All my halloween projects now use the ISD 2560 chip, it is addressable and you can have 2o,30,45,60,120 second chips. the isd60 is 10.00 us and is self contained, meaning you only need 1 resistor with a regulated5v supply or 4 parts including the regulator for loop play back.
the great thing is when triggered it plays to the end of the register unless it is jumpered to loop. it is a time saver and CHEAP. the sound quality is really good despite some reviews, take it from me iv been using them for two years and no probs. Memory is nonvolital with 100 year retension and over 1000 re-record cycles. if you need ill look up the specs and send them to you.

An axe28 or 40x is perfect for this chip

Edited by - alima on 10/07/2006 20:01:55

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If the inputs you want to control are 'short to 0V' buttons, you should be able to wire a PICAXE pin which can be input or output direct to that pin - when set as an input it will be tri-state and allow the button to float high, and when output low it should pull the pin down hard to 0V. Putting a diode in series ( pointy end to PICAXE ) does no harm providing it can still put the controlled chip's input button low enough to be detected, and prevents from any accidental output highs from getting out.

alimauro

ps i wanted to be one of those for halloween 1 year. thats a good memory from my past. I much prefer the old series to the new one ....but its growing on me.