Run-time error 372 - srcvw4.dll

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The 372 error would normally indicate that the srcvw4.dll installed is incompatbile with the Windows run-times installed.

Why this has occured and why the suggested solutions have not resolved it I am not sure. The best approach is removing all versions of Programming Editor and srcvw4.dll and starting again -

First remove all Programming Editor instances through Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

Then remove the C:\Program Files\Programming Editor directory and all sub-directories.

Re-boot and remove all instances of srcvw4.dll found in the C:\Windows directory and sub-directories.

Re-boot, check all srcvw4.dll have gone, then re-install the 5.3.3 version of the Programming Editor, see if that now works.

Do not install any Programming Editor before version 5.3.0 as that will only mean having to repeat the process of Programming Editor and srcvw4.dll removal to start from a known position.

nick12ab

The 372 error would normally indicate that the srcvw4.dll installed is incompatbile with the Windows run-times installed.

Why this has occured and why the suggested solutions have not resolved it I am not sure. The best approach is removing all versions of Programming Editor and srcvw4.dll and starting again -

First remove all Programming Editor instances through Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

Then remove the C:\Program Files\Programming Editor directory and all sub-directories.

Re-boot and remove all instances of srcvw4.dll found in the C:\Windows directory and sub-directories.

Re-boot, check all srcvw4.dll have gone, then re-install the 5.3.3 version of the Programming Editor, see if that now works.

Do not install any Programming Editor before version 5.3.0 as that will only mean having to repeat the process of Programming Editor and srcvw4.dll removal to start from a known position.
It worked. It turned out that there were three other instances of srcvw4.dll in Windows subfolders as well as the system32 one. But the 5.3.5 patch won't work - it will hold at the about screen and the patch doesn't stay installed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Glad we've solved the srcvw4.dll issue and thanks for letting us know.

The 5.3.4 patch issue may be the way you are running it. The patch includes ( I believe ) just a progedit.exe - this should be copied over the existing C:\Program Files\Programming Editor\progedit.exe rather than executed from within the .zip file.

westaust55

Glad we've solved the srcvw4.dll issue and thanks for letting us know.

The 5.3.4 patch issue may be the way you are running it. The patch includes ( I believe ) just a progedit.exe - this should be copied over the existing C:\Program Files\Programming Editor\progedit.exe rather than executed from within the .zip file.
And the moral is:
Read the instructions - in this case the Read.me file which states:
Upgrade Patch for Programming Editor.

Convert 5.3.2 to 5.3.4

Version 5.3.2 or 5.3.3 must be installed for this patch to work.
See revision.txt for reason for patch revision.

Upgrade Procedure.
Copy the replacement file(s) below into the correct folders, overwriting the file of the same name.

Replacement Files:

1) Folder c:\Program Files\Programming Editor\
progedit.exe
revision.txt
albeit that the revision information is not current in the upgrade to 5.3.5. :eek:

nick12ab

Ages ago some people may remember my posts before complaining that one of my software applications stopped working and I was pretty sure that it was related to Programming Editor and then the posts went missing (probably to do with the close ties the software has to non-Rev-Ed product).

Today I found out from my teacher that the software automatically de-activates after a few months (a year?) probably so that students who leave don't get to keep a working copy for long. So it has absolutely nothing to do with programming Editor, it was just a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Ages ago some people may remember my posts before complaining that one of my software applications stopped working and I was pretty sure that it was related to Programming Editor and then the posts went missing (probably to do with the close ties the software has to non-Rev-Ed product).
The policy has been along the lines of 'don't mention the war' when it comes to products directly competing with PICAXE and Revolution Education as that amounts to handing out free advertisements to competitors which this forum is not here to facilitate. We will edit posts (as here) or remove them but it's usually quite easy to busk round the issue and not mention them by name with no loss of information.