Tutorials

Dippy

You hoping to win a prize? :)

If I do a general tutorial on driving MOSFET gates then most of that list is redundant.

But, for a Project to make a VU meter then most of that list is applicable - and a project may be better suited to being published in the Finished Projects section.

I don't think we'll ever agree on a format , so why don't we all have a go?
We're not trying for the Booker prize here, so just do your best.
Then people in future will slowly adopt the format they like best.
That's why we have i-bloody-everything now and podcasts too. Apple are great and all the others want to copy.

John West

It's clearly time for us to start writing tutorials. I've begun a tutorial on "How to Read a DC Voltage Using a PICAXE." I may expand it to include AC, or I may decide to do a separate tutorial for that one. Depends on how big the first one gets.

It will take several days before it's at all up to snuff as I'm pretty busy this coming week. But I'll post it when it's in rough draft form and will ask for input via PM so as to keep the site here tidy, and so I can receive messages in a less than public manner that are telling me I'm an idiot. ;)

However, if someone else has already begun such a tutorial, just holler, and I'll simply add my contributions to it.

---

I recall seeing a very well done tutorial on how to interface a PICAXE to a GPS module. It was published by a regular contributor to this forum, but it was on another site and only a link was provided.

There may be several such tutorials already out there on the web, and if a Tutorials Forum is established here it would be a very good idea to invite the authors of such well done tutorials to add them to this collection.

servello

That depends on the prize :)

If you review a few messages up, there are some suggestions for formatting the tutorials. Suggestions I had already made.

I just thought it would be nice to reiterate what was already posted.

People should do a good scanning of previous posts so as not to needlessly lengthen the thread with multiple requests of a similar nature.

Now, about that prize? :)

Dippy

Blimey, you ARE after a prize ;)

"People should do a good scanning of previous posts so as not to needlessly lengthen the thread with multiple requests of a similar nature."

- Yes, but easier said than done. Sadly anything more than a page ago doesn't usually get read and so the thread goes into repeat mode...

People rarely read what's just been written and things just get repeated.

People rarely read more than the current page and the thread usually goes into repeat mode.

We'll never agree on a format. Everyone is an expert and knows better than others. The next thing is for someone to say "I've been writing Press Releases and Articles since Thomas Wossizname invented the press and therefore I know best. And you vill do what I say or else we'll waterboard you." - yawn :)

And just to reiterate; People rarely read what's just been written and things just get repeated.

PS Good for you John. Get the ball rolling.

Jeremy Leach

Just an idea - but if there was a separate tutorial folder then anyone writing a tutorial could have a placeholder post with the tutorial title, then in the body say 'work in progress'. Just to avoid someone else spending hours doing the same thing.

Plus could even have entries of tutorials that have been requested but are currently unclaimed by potential authors.

Could even have an agreed status: Suggested, Work In progress, Under review, Published. Or similar.

Depends how formal people want to go.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We welcome all this feedback and ideas about tutorials in the website.

Revolution are actually in the process of rebuilding their entire website structure, which is admittedly very dated. There will be a new website early next year.

We are not convinced that this forum is the best way to post tutorials, for the reasons others have already highlighted. However we will certainly have a more versatile tutorials section in the new website. If anyone has any completed tutorials they want to pass on now, please send them on to us.

Rbeckett

Guy/gals,
In addition to the great idea for tutorials, I have found a very good page on another site(a competitor possibly:eek:) that combines all kinds of info/links for data sheet suppliers, sellers, manufacturers and the like into a single page table format. Would it be wrong to link that page or perhaps cut and paste it for inclusion here or maybe in the tutorials when they come available? It has helped me a ton in learning what I have learned so far.
Bob

Dippy

If you are worried then PM it to hippy for his opinion.

On the other hand I think most of us knows what a tutorial looks like and links to competitors may be frowned upon. Ask hippy first.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I don't think the particular site would be classed as a competitor, more a handy list of links collated together. It is links and posts encouraging PICAXE users to be using something else or trying to detract from PICAXE which really cause a problem; Rev-Ed resources being used to drive trade to the competition.

Fair comments and comparisons are tolerated ( as can be evidenced in this thread itself ) and it's perhaps best said that motivation behind a post is what's important, most people should be able to judge if something helps the community or leads them elsewhere and be able to exercise their own editorial control.

Copying other site's pages has issues, particularly as they are often copyright protected works, but pointing to that work isn't usually a problem. To save you having to post the link ....

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=9538

schwada

response from sparkfun

I'ts nice that sparkfun replied as I have NOT yet received a reply from picaxeforum regarding my email I sent last week...

[email i received from sparkfun]

Hi David,

Thanks for checking with us. At the moment we have no plans to add a PICAXE tutorial section. I will however pass the suggestion on to the proper people.

Thanks,
Pearce

--------------------------------
[email i sent]

I see you have an “Arduino Tutorials” section. Are you planning on adding a PICAXE tutorials section?
Please let me know
Thanks,
David

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I'ts nice that sparkfun replied as I have NOT yet received a reply from picaxeforum regarding my email I sent last week...
We have not received any email - did you PM it to 'Technical'?
Please see our general response a few posts back.

John West

schwada:
I wouldn't expect Picaxe tutorials in the very near future from Sparkfun. I'm still patiently waiting for them to just get around to stocking the 18M2. :(

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
schwada:
I wouldn't expect Picaxe tutorials in the very near future from Sparkfun. I'm still patiently waiting for them to just get around to stocking the 18M2. :(
Sparkfun have literally just taken a large batch of 18M2's, so give them a few days and it will be in their store.

John West

Actually, I live about 10 kilometers from their store, and they bring all my parts downstairs and right out to the car for a S&H fee of $2 US. Drive-up service. The receptionist is a wonderful lady. :)

The doctors and dentists should be so nice.