4 digit 7 seg LED, serial and I2c

matherp

I suggested this to Jim as a product a couple of months ago and he promised to look at it so I'm really pleased its now in production - should save lots of wiring when applicable - I've ordered one to test

Regards

Peter

Andrew Cowan

I ordered one of these to play with about a week ago - just waiting fo the chinese shpping service now.

Control is via four 74HC595 shift registers, so should easily be PICAXEable.

I'll make a thread when it arrives.

A

Edit - it arrived! Turns out I ordered the 2.3" high version - it's the a huge LED display!

Last edited:

boriz

Do sure accept Paypal? I tried looking around their site, but couldn't find any payment info.

Andrew Cowan

I bought mine through their ebay store - it seems a little cheaper. Delivery was about 14 days. Link to the one I bought is here.

It's really bright, really clear. My next step is to make a serial controller board (08M). It supports variable brightness via PWMing the enable pin.

A

boriz

Thanks Eclectic. Just toured their ebay shop. Lots of good stuff, reasonable prices. Paypal preferred. :)

Andrew Cowan

I get alot of stuff from Sure - they seem pretty good.

I've attached a photo of my 2.3" display, plus an 08M for size comparison. Note the plastic protective film is still on the LED display in this photo - hence the black background has an odd apearance (esp. in the top left corner, where I peeled some if it off and stuck it back).

A

Attachments

Andrew Cowan

Just to add that I've ordered another so I can cascade them and have 8 digits to control.

I've also worked out the control commands (hex values to output) for each character (upper case and lower case where applicable). Very few of the values given in the manual worked for me.

I've now completed my code that serin's four ASCII digits (numbers 0 to 9, letters A to Z and a to z) and outputs them to the display. All fits onto an 08M. If anyone else buys this display and wants help controlling it, let me know and I'll give you my code.

A

westaust55

I ordered one of these to play with about a week ago - just waiting foe the Chinese shopping service now.

Control is via four 74HC595 shift registers, so should easily be PICAXEable.

I'll make a thread when it arrives.

A

Edit - it arrived! Turns out I ordered the 2.3" high version - it's the a huge LED display!
Sounds like a use for the finished project I posted here, with an extra 595:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13687

matherp

I've now tested the Byvac 4-digit LED display (BV4513) and it works great on i2c using a 20x2. It also supports serial I/O which I haven't yet tested. The display is very bright (controllable) and flicker free. The unit does all the decoding for you - just send it the digit position and the number and it will display it. Alternatively you can specify which segments you want lit. It also provides 240 bytes of eeprom if required (the first 16 bytes are reserved). I've got no affiliation to Jim at Byvac but have always found his products very good and he is very responsive if you need support.

Peter