remote control system

big JME

the 12.5mm squared was just a rough guess, (i hadnt got a ruler on me at the time so totally incorrect size guess)

now i have a ruler which i could have done with having really sorry guys, i can have about 23mm squared but longer and narrower would also work so i think Pack2 at 16.5mm X 25mm would probably be the best bet but i cant tell yet as i need to order my new servos and a empty wii nunchuk case to check

ooo and some dimensions i found on the net for a wii nunchuk
Dimensions: 4.49 in x 1.5 in x 1.46 in

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Wrenow raises a valid point about maximum discharge rate.
Button cells are VERY fragile with respect to charge/discharge and cannot tollerate ANY abuse. They also have very little spare excess negative electrode (for gas re-absorbption) so don't leave them charging once full for any length of time.

Pack 2 is only 80mAh.
So (theoretically) ~10hrs at 8mA. Quite a bit shorter in practice.
You mentioned the servos. Are these to be powered from this battery?

big JME

no the servos are on my reciever pack this only has to run a picaxe 08M chip, transmitter and 2 analog pots, but i mean i dont know how low a voltage i can use for these boards

big JME

i have no clue really, im no good at electrics, its maximum range is 70m and max voltage is 12

currently i have it on 4.5v and im getting about 20 meters but thats only because thats the maximum ive tried it at, the max distance i can possibly want is about 35 or 40 meters

joely87

G'day big JME,

This is a rather long post and i notice your last post was about 10 months ago. Just wondering if you got it all up and running?

I found this thread because i am thinking of working on a similar project. I am not ready to start my own thread yet because wont have time to work on it as a full project but i do want to start playing around with sub sections of the larger project!

Firstly i noticed you were going to use xbee... then in a later post you had changed. I couldn't find the post where you changed your mind could you tell me why pros cons??

The project i am considering....
I basically want to try and fly a small RC plane using picaxe and a wii nunchuck. Last night i got a 18m2 chip to read data from the nunchuck then serout it to a second 18m2 which controlled two servos using the variables sent from the first 18m2. i got it working as a tilt pan application using both joystick and accelerometer although it is a bit jittery. i think the issue is that i have servo control picaxe running at 4Mhz and the picaxe reading i2c from nunchuck operating at 8Mhz then sending data at 4Mhz.

So thats what i have done..

and

This is the general plan.
-One nunchuck (transmitter)
-One 20X2 picaxe chip for i2c read of nunchuck and serout (transmitter)
-One 20X2 picaxe chip for serin and servo control (receiver)
-Two xbee 2mW chip antenna modules (one at each end)
-Other general electronics

I am thinking i will use the accelerometer to control the throttle and allierons. And the joystick to control elevator and rudder.

From doing a bit of reading i think the 20X2's should work better together as they can operate at up to 64Mhz i think i might try at 16Mhz and they can control servos at the same speed rather than having to drop back to 4Mhz.

I have seen people working on similar projects with arduino but i don't understand there code.

my main question is whats wrong with using xbee?

Cheers
Joel

joely87

After a little bit more of my own research the issue with Xbee seems to be the latency???

I do have another idea though!

What about picaxe to PPM?? I am thinking if i can get one picaxe to read the nunchuck, then send the data via PPM to the trainer port of my RC transmitter then i don't need to mess around with the second half of the project. I have done a quick search on the forum and Google and it seems like it will be achievable.... but would require the use of a scope to analysis the output of my transmitter to know how the data should be sent. Unfortunately i don't have a scope. maybe its time to invest?

I have a spektrum transmitter, which i think uses similar standards to JR. If anyone can point me in the direction of one the protocol spektrum uses, and two anyone who has been successful in this type of application i would love some guidance.

maybe i should start a new post?

joely87

Hi All. Thought I would give an update on this post. I think I will start a new one tomorrow.

So today I had a play around with a picaxe to ppm. As above it was my new idea to save playing with RF. I was able to get the 18m2 chip to send pulses out and using a mono 3.5 jack my laptop and a oscilloscope program I could generate the signal required.

I was hoping to send ppm data to a spectrum DX5e using the trainer port. This requires 8 high pulses minimum .7ms and max 1.7ms with stop pulses of .3ms. The range between .7 and 1.7 is the stick position nothing to full. The lead in is 22.5ms - the 8 pulses depending how long they are.

I tried a simplified version of this using 8 pulsout and 8 pause commands. In each block of code I left 7 pulses at .7ms and one at 1.7ms. I believe this worked ok in its simple form. The problem is when I put a serin line of code the program spent too long waiting, receiving then doing and the lead pulse was too long. I'll post some code tomorrow.

On the plus side I did get the servos working without jitters. I read in the manual that the 18m2 could handle 16Mhz and the servo command also works at 16MHz on M2 parts. To get the servo too move equally I used b8=b2*10/15+75.

So unless anyone has any ideas to overcome my PPM problem I think I am on the search for a Tx and Rx capable of operating at 16Mhz T4800 accurately with a range of 100- 500m

Thanks.