New tech supplies stuff

alband

Just dropping the word that tech supplies has got some new surface mount chips in and a few other things in the other categories.
http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Categories/PICAXE/SurfaceMount

Also, I know this has been asked a few times before, but has microchip given any further word or date towards the 20X2 (SMT version in particular)? I checked their site and they all seem to be available on 29th June to the general public. Is this the date you have been given?

Very plaesed about the other new SMT chips though! :D

Thanks,
David.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
SM Jack Socket : I suspect it's the same as the one on the 28X2 module. Mot much bigger than the hole it needs to have. Form memory, about 5mm x 5mm x 10mm or in that sort of region. Possibly not actually this one but it gives an idea of what it looks like ( the one we use is more square I think ) -

http://akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/pdt.static.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/BIG/394/B0044266394.jpg

18F14K22 : 29th of June it looks to be. As far as I'm aware we have't received any silicon yet. We will let you know when we have a concrete release schedule.

alband

I'm sorry to keep bothering you about this and I'm not blaming you, it just I'm really looking forward to these 20X2's. ;)

I've just checked the microchip site again and the release date is now 4th august. Clearly, they must be selling them to other people, before the public, otherwise the date would remain fixed?
Does Rev-ed fall into the "public" category?

I would also like to make explicit that I understand this is not Rev-ed's fault and I'm not complaining. In fact it is a testament to there customer communication abilities that I can ask questions like this. :)

I have worked something out though. My first post in this was on 23/5 and at that point the release date was 29/6 so it was 37 days away. Now on 30/6 the release date is 4/7. This means that in 38 days, the release date has got 2 days closer, so an average of one day closer every 19 days. The release date is currently 35 days away, so assuming that the release date continues to advance at 1 per 19 days:
35 * 19 = 665 days away. So on the 26/4/2011 we shall have our 20X2's! :rolleyes::D

I may have missed some important factors though!

Dippy

Blimey alband, you have too much spare time :)

I am not able to answer the qu about Microchip release dates so why don't you email Microchip and ask them?

Microchip can be annoying.
Quite often they 'adjust' release dates.
Quite often a customer can wait months for delivery. (Very noticeable with K series PICs!!)
There have been many errors with earlier K series batches. Check Errata sheets for your self. Maybe there has been a production problem?
And blooming Microchip have a bad habit of changing fuse and bit names which can mess up people's code and cause more delays.

I would have thought that they would want to release the product as soon as possible to make money?
I would guess the only people to get things early would be special (e.g. very big) customers and testers.

Anyway, we can't do anything about it, so , hey, chill out and wash the car.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Clearly, they must be selling them to other people, before the public, otherwise the date would remain fixed?
That doesn't follow at all; there can be many reasons why a predicted release date is moved.

We will let people know if we have any information to pass on. At present I am not aware of anything beyond what has already been said.

BeanieBots

I've just checked the microchip site again and the release date is now 4th august. Clearly, they must be selling them to other people, before the public, otherwise the date would remain fixed?
Does Rev-ed fall into the "public" category?
As Hippy says, no correlation at all.

More likely than not, a production fault.
Making chips is a bit like cooking. Even when the recipe is correct and the oven is set to the right temperature and time, the results can still vary.
Keeping with the analogy/metaphore, the 'oven' can typically process £250k per hour. It can take more than one shift to bring it down, make a small change and bring it up again. This is not done lightly for obvious reasons. If a change is required, it will have to wait until a known working product batch is completed.