PICAXE forms part of robotic body of semi-living art

inglewoodpete

For the last 7 months, I have been part of a team developing a robotic art display called "Silent Barrage". PICAXE 28x1s form the core of the networking and control of the display in the gallery.

In as simple terms as possible, the display centres on a network of embryonic rat neurons grown in-vitro at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The robotic body, forming the display and premiering at Exit Art Gallery, New York, is an array of 36 networked objects communicating with the neurons.

The display is an array of 36 objects or 'poles', each 2.75 metres tall, arranged in a 6 x 6 matrix and spaced about 1 metre apart. Each pole has a print head that is raised and lowered along the height of the pole, the position determined by the neurons. When the print head reaches its required position, a line is drawn on paper wrapped around the pole by a second motor. The PICAXE on each pole takes its instructions from a master controller, also a 28x1, via an extended i2c bus.

The master controller is connected via its hSerial port to a PC interfacing to a VPN on the internet. The internet then completes the link to the neurons.

Finally, feedback to stimulate the neurons is provided via an array of cameras interfacing with custom made software to produce a low resolution digital 'image'. These cameras are mounted above the gallery display and capture images of the viewing public as they walk among the matrix of poles. The digital images generated from the cameras stimulate the neurons, and electrodes monitor the neuron's response. The responses from the neurons are then transmitted every few seconds to the PC located at the gallery and then on to the PICAXEs on the display.

As mentioned previously, each pole has its own PICAXE microcontroller waiting for instructions via i2c. Internally, the pole contains a counterweight to balance the print head. The counterbalance has a 'wiper' that contacts a nichrome wire tensioned between the top and bottom of the pole, acting as a potentiometer. The PICAXE then uses PWM and custom developed pulsing of the height motor, together with 10-bit ADC feedback from the nichrome wire, to position the head. This method has given an accuracy of better than 4mm or about 0.2%. Once the head has reached the correct position, the PICAXE then operates a pen motor which spins around the pole, marking a line. Once the cycle is complete, the pole PICAXE then sets its status as 'idle'. The master microcontroller polls each 'slave' PICAXE via i2c during this positioning process, waiting for all poles to complete their positioning task. In the meantime the controlling PC has requested and received a fresh set of coordinates from the neurons, ready to download to the PICAXEs.

In order to meet the stringent criteria, and due to variations in the characteristics of the individual hand-made poles, each pole enters a 'learning' phase when it boots for the first time on a new software revision. The learning phase for each pole puts the print head through a series of measured tests, with the results written into EEPROM in the PICAXE. This then gives each pole controller its own 'personality' to allow the fastest and most accurate positioning of the print head. The 'learning' phase takes 3 to 4 minutes and the data is then available from EEPROM on subsequent reboots of the pole boards.

The project is the brainchild of artists Guy Ben-Ary and Philip Gamblen from Perth, Western Australia. Microcontroller PCBs were designed and assembled by Dr Nathan Scott. Video feedback development was provided by Brett Murray. I designed, developed and tested the PICAXE software. Work on the project, for the greater part, has been voluntary. The project has been supported through the University of Western Australia and the Australia Council for the Arts. The biological "brain" or neural network was developed by Dr Steve Potter's lab in Altanta, Georgia. "Silent Barrage" forms part of the "Corpus Extremus (LIFE+)" exhibition at the Exit Art Gallery New York which opens this evening, 28th February 2009.

I'd also like to acknowledge the support provided by Revolution Education to overcome firmware difficulties we encountered during development. Also, thanks to the assistance and discussion from many forum members when we posted problems with i2c, PWM and motor interference.

Peter Gee
"inglewoodpete"

inglewoodpete

Some photos

There are no photos of the actual exhibition yet, since it has not opened. I'm on the other side of the world in Oz :( I have a couple of photos taken in the unpacking/assembly area but do not want to preempt the display.

I have included 2 photos of parts of a prototype pole that I have done much of the development on. Both designs are by Philip Gamblen.

The motor head, mounted on the top of the pole (the Oz prototypes used 90mm PVC stormwater pipe). You can see the top of the nichrome wire, the noise-calming on the main drive motor/gearbox and the flex providing power to the pen motor running over the pulley with the pen-head support cable. The counterweight is down inside the pole.

The pen head. The flash has washed out the drawing on the paper but you can see most of the mechanism. At the right is the cable that suspends the head. The pen is simply the core of a ballpoint. The tip of the pen barely touches the paper (wrapped around the pole), so that vertical lines are not drawn as the head moves up and down the pole. The pen motor turns the upper square of the lazy susan bearing fairly quickly, centrifugal force on one end of pen mount presses the pen tip onto the paper, drawing a line.

The promotional webpage was for the display of the prototype hardware last November. It includes an image of the type of Petri dish used in the Potter lab showing the electrodes.

Peter

Attachments

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Two quotes spring to mind - "Is it Art ?" and "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" :)

Look forward to seeing more on the exhibit - particularly if it takes itself on a world tour - and great to know there are PICAXE's in there, quite possibly more intelligent than the neural stars of the show.

Good work, well done, and congratulations to the entire team involved. It will be interesting to read the reviews when they come. Lead artists invariably get the credit and the limelight but it's great to have 'one of our own' turning the dream into reality.

All that's left is decoding what the network says in its writing on the poles; my money's on "PICAXE roolz", or, "Help, I'm a kidnapped neuron, get me outta here" ;-)

inglewoodpete

Update on "Silent Barrage"

Following the successful exhibition of "Silent Barrage" in New York, our team entered the PICAXE-powered art in "Prix Ars Electronica 2009" (I'll let you translate that!). Ars Electronica is considered among the world's top electronic art competitions. Our entry won an "Award of Distinction 2009" in the category "Hybrid Art" Prix Ars Electronica 2009. Imagine our excitement when we saw that we were up there with Pixar's WALL*E, although in a different category!

While the development and display of Silent Barrage was funded by Australian Government grants to date, the reality is that most of the work was done on a voluntary basis in very ordinary conditions. Eg. I developed most of the PICAXE code at home with one of the poles set up beside my computer. My wife, kids and the occasional visitor would marvel at what was happening!

I discovered the following video on youtube, taken during the New York exhibition. I hope the url works: the proxy/firewall police where I work disallow access to youtube. If it needs correcting, I'll fix it tonight from home. SILENT BARRAGE_NEUROTICA - YouTube

We are looking at exhibiting "Silent Barrage" again in different parts of the world but this requires a lot of preparation (and funding/sponsoring), so will keep you posted.

Edit: September 2022 "Silent Barrage" went on to be developed further and shown in art exhibitions in Sao Paulo Brazil, Dublin Ireland and Beijing China during 2010 and 2011. Sadly, funding for the neural research in Atlanta dried up in around 2012/2013 and the petri dishes were "laid to rest" in 2013. The Silent Barrage robot remains in storage here in Australia.

Peter

Last edited:

lanternfish

This is fantastic. My wife and I collect contemporary NZ art - my preference is sculpture - so have found your installation quite exciting. Would be great to see it here in NZ. Cheers