Button Command

BeanieBots

Using PE 5.2.0 & 18X V8.6

I've always thought of the button command as a bit of a "lost soul" and never really gave it much thought until recently.
For debounce, a simple test input and pause does the job, however, when recently trying to create a menu system I thought I'd explore the "repeat" feature.
This proved to be quite tricky and I don't think the description given in the manual helps. Here's what I found:-

As per the manual:
Button Pin,DownState,Delay,Rate,Var,TargetState,Address

The first thing I got was a syntax error. Fortunately, the error message clearly explained what the problem was. I'd already set up all my symbols for my I/O pins and thought I'd replace "Pin" with the symbol I'd used for that input. But no, it doesn't work like that:confused: It didn't want "pin6", it just wanted the "6", so my symbol "Button_A" (which is used elsewhere) can't be used in the Button command line.:mad: Why is this convention?

Then the fun started with "Delay" and "Rate".
I put in some nominal values of 128 for each.
Couldn't distinguish between the first push and a repeat. Tried all sorts of values and combinations to no avail.
It wasn't until I started to debug "Var" that I realised what was actually going on. "Delay" is actually a COUNT of how many times you've been through the loop. In a tight loop, the "Delay" is virtually nothing.
Having worked that out and inserted a pause in my loop, things were looking up until I tried to make the pause as small as possible and use the largest "delay".

The manual is quite clear, "delay" can be 0 to 255.
Except 255 is a 'special' value which prevents the repeat from working at all. All you get is one jump to address when "delay"=255. 254 is the maximum value you can have. This is actually a useful feature and should be explained in the manual.

So, here's my description of how "Button" works.

"Pin" uses the OUTPUT convention, NOT the input convention.
"Delay" is how many times the command must be passed before it does the first repeat.
"Rate" is how many times the command must be passed before it subsequent repeats.
"Var" must be set to zero before the command is used (as explained in the manual) but that must be a once only setting. It must be done before you enter the loop which scans your button.

Maybe this is all obvious to everyone else, but it kept me bemused for quite a while:eek:

westaust55

Hi BB,

some good info there. I have read up on the Button command previously but likewise it has been dormant in the coding.

wrt the "pin" portion of the command:

other input comamnds like pulsin, readadc, readtemp, serin and shiftin (spiin) only take the numeric value (0 to 7) for the input pin. The Button command example does not include the text "pin", so I would been right there.

But still good to know the other quirks in advance of needing to use the command in anger.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
"Pin" uses the OUTPUT convention, NOT the input convention.
No, it uses the normal convention as used by all other input type commands, readadc, readtemp, count pulsin etc. etc.!

Every command, whether input or output, always addresses the pin itself, ie just a number like 3.

pin3 is not the name of a pin. It is the name of a bit variable (notice how it colour codes). That variable contains a 0 or 1, dependant on whether the real-life pin is high or low.

So
if pin3 = 1 then
means
If the variable containing the status of input number 3 = 1, then

The other points are useful and will be added to the manual.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Thanks Technical, points noted.

So how could I make this readable:-

Symbol Btn_A = pin6
Symbol Btn_A_as_required_by_button_command = 6
Symbol Pushed = 1

...first bit of code
if Btn_A=Pushed then....

...within a loop
Button Btn_as_required_by_button_command,Pushed,....

Will I always need to use two symbol statements for the same input?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You can't define a variable (pin6) and a constant (6) with the same symbol pseudo name. So yes, you will always need two different symbol names.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
So how could I make this readable:-

Symbol Btn_A = pin6
Symbol Btn_A_as_required_by_button_command = 6
Symbol Pushed = 1

...first bit of code
if Btn_A=Pushed then....

...within a loop
Button Btn_as_required_by_button_command,Pushed,....

Will I always need to use two symbol statements for the same input?
It is a pain but there's no easy way round it. The way I've worked round it is ...

Symbol BTN = 6
Symbol BTN_PIN = pin6

If BTN_PIN = PUSHED Then ...

Button BTN, PUSHED ...

It could be possible to have "If PIN BTN6 = PUSHED Then" but there's nothing planned along those lines that I know of.

tiscando

How about

How about having a 'symboltext' command which makes one particular text string be identified as another text string.
e.g.

symboltext {led2}={portc 6}

main:
high led2

(another colour setting added to the colour options)

Last edited:

manuka

I'm also now pretty rusty on BUTTON parameters, having originally used this tempting command back in my late '90s Basic Stamp (BS)days. Attempts ~2004 to give it some PICAXE mileage left me unsatisfied, but that's not to say it should be shelved. Perhaps a lucid "Hippy" check out may be in order?

FWIW, a quick BS +button Google shows the likes of http://www.emesys.com/BS2buttn.htm and http://www.eetindia.co.in/ARTICLES/2002FEB/2002FEB25_AMD_CT_MSD_EMS_AN.PDF?SOURCES=DOWNLOAD and also http://www.emesys.com/BS2index.htm#earth

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
How about having a 'symboltext' command which makes one particular text string be identified as another text string.
e.g.

symboltext {led2}={portc 6}
A very good idea that we had not considered. Basically a simple 'replace all' function before the compiler is called. We'll consider it.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Isn’t it known commonly as a Macro?
In the C-world it would be a #define, macro would traditionally refer to a multi-line in-line expansion but is also used to refer to a single word or line.

I keep requesting an inline assembler. But no-body listens. :)
I'm sure Rev-Ed do listen however it's not that easy to implement ( the smaller PICAXE's could not support it due to the PICmicro architecture used ) nor would it be simple to implement in a way which would be usable.

The BAS800 programmer and associated Convert to Assembler function can bridge the gap between PICAXE Basic and Assembler. It is not designed as a commercial compiler but it is possible to build peripheral devices using Assembler that can be controlled by other PICAXE devices.

fernando_g

Thanks for posting this explanation.
I also had wondered about the "button" command, and had experimented a little with it without success.
I was also planning on using debug, but decided to search first, to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Hopefully the people at Rev-Ed take cue on this issue, as there are several commands on the Manual 2 that I feel are not properly explained.

BeanieBots

Another handy little trick i found with "Button" is that if "var" has the same value as "delay", then it is the FIRST jump to "address".

Michael 2727

Not wanting to Stir The Pot (would I do a thing like that :)) there is a hardware
solution that works very well for preventing the Switch Bounce effect.

A simple 0.1µF (100n) Monolithic Capacitor or Polyester Cap placed across the switch
contacts will absorb most of the switch noise in most cases. If you have a particularly
bad/noisy switch just make the cap a little larger e.g. 0.22µF.

We will quite happily plaster a circuit board with 100n caps to reduce any stray
voltages or ripple and place pullup, pulldown resistors on any unused inputs, The
addition of a small capacitor across a switch contact shouldn't break the bank.

2¢ worth.

BCJKiwi

Agree the button command may be overkill for simple debounce but the button command also handles the simulation of a PC keyboard with tuneable delay and then key repeats if held down.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

I've always found it cheaper to insert a "pause 10" line than to use either a cap or a chip for debounce.
When you find you have a particularly 'bouncy' contact, it is usually easier to change the pause value than it is to change the cap.

Using the "button" command just for debounce, well, yes, lots of typing, probably cheaper to use a cap at my hourly rate. Then again, you could just use "if pin=.. pause N". As described in post #1.

Maybe I'm just too lazy and tight fisted. Everyone to their own I guess;)

Ralpht

Code:
Agree the button command may be overkill for simple debounce but the button command also handles the simulation of a PC keyboard with repeats if held down.
Being a hardware man at heart, I'd prefer a hardware solution to a hardware problem, cct board real estate permitting. That MC14490 is a brilliant little chip, but even cross coupled nand gates will do it perfectly at a pinch. No need to worry about whether your delays/timing is right, it's already done for you.

I don't think the cap across the switch contacts is the best method. It will help with high quality switches that have minimal bounce, but once things start wearing out and the contacts bounce longer the cap will be overwhelmed eventually and bounces will get through.

I see the Button command as only usefull for the repeat function, but even that can be corrected with a minimum of hardware.

It's a trade off between board space and program/speed space.
The Button command will take time to execute and use up code space and speed, that are at a premium in the Picaxes.

My $0.02 worth.