Exciting GLCD

Andrew Cowan

I have found a great looking GLCD with touch screen and RGB backlight. I will use it with a GLIC-K1 controller.

Unless anyone can spot any obvious problems with interfacing with a PIC, I'll send off an order.

I know the touch screen may be hard/impossible to use, but it is worth a try. The 4 wire resistive panel doesn't seem too hard to use.

http://www.circuit-ed.com/128x64-TouchScreen-GLCD-with-RGB-Backlight-P168C8.aspx

Andrew

Last edited:

BeanieBots

I'm always suspicious of suppliers which refuse to offer any support.
At a quick glance, a few things didn't add up. RGB backlight, yet the pinout shows A + K for backlight. How does that work then?
Also, the contrast control looked a bit vague. Does it require +5v/-10v or not?
Read thoroughly and be happy yourself before making a purchase.

alband

Go for it, and for all of our sakes, tell us how it goes.
Not sure how you control it; would it take the fireware chip?
How are you planing to control it?
As for the touch screen, you could treat that like to pot's, so that should be simple.

alband

BB and me were typing at the same time and he's got some points.
What is that price £34 or $34?

kevrus

Ive only just started playing with GLCDs, this Looks really interesting. Touch screen would definitely be a 'touch' too difficult for me, but I fancy the RGB backlight facility...an xmas pressy for me I think
The RGB backlight appears to connect to pins 19,20,21 for the anode of the LEDs, not sure on the cathode...maybe common to the GLCD neg terminal

Alband good point about the price, it appears to be a US company so I would suggest $34...

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

It is $34 (and $27 postage to the UK).

The pinout for the product (not for the LCD itself) has 25 pins. 19, 20, and 21 are the backlight pins for R G and B.

I plan to control it using a GLIC-K1 chip.

Andrew

Last edited:

alband

Since it's $'s I'd be more warey. That's like walking into a shop and paying ~£17 for it. I would expect to pay more than that for a large LCD like that with touch screen and RBG backlight.
On the other hand, if it doesn't work, you haven't spent as much.
Also are you sure about that P&P price. I've been hit with customs charges of £80 :eek: without any warning and had to pay because it'd already been shipped.

Andrew Cowan

$34 item + $27 postage = $61 = £40 (using paypals exchange rate).

If you add the LCD to your basket, add USPS Express - UK ($27.00), that is all it asks for.

What were the circustances where you were asked to pay £80 customs charge?

Andrew

alband

That is the problem. There is no way to find out whether customs will be charged and if so how much. HM Revenue & Customs is the only place that would and it doesn't.
Sorry.
If it helps, I was ordering some micro RC gear in the sum of around £200 (so about 40%). Also, if Parcel Force have anything to do with it you have to pay a flat rate of around £10 as a handling fee. I recall the also have some kind of % TAX as well.
Basically, now that it is recognised that importing stuff can be charged, everyone will be trying to squeeze as much out of you as possible. I can almost be sure you'll be hit by some kind of charge, so be sure you can't get it from somewhere in the EU.
All the best.

retepsnikrep

I agree with Alband, UK Customs/Import Duty is a right royal PITA and often you don't find out for weeks afterwards. Goods arrive, you think phew got away with that importing X from US far east, but the invoice will turn up from the carrier a month later just as described, demanding the £30 import duty etc etc. If you don't pay it's the balifs and the carrier propably put's you on a black list so no more deliveries from them. Just be warned.

Andrew Cowan

Circuit-ED said:
This Custom LCD Product Exclusively AT CircuitED!
Grrr. Is there any point in asked Circuit-Ed about customs charges? Or won't they know?

Andrew

Right: I have been doing my research:
Customs duty - this is usually charged as a percentage of the value. The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, postage is excluded from the calculation for duty on gifts sent by post except for Express Mail Service (EMS).

Where the value of gifts is below £290 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 3.5% will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.

Note: Customs duty will be waived if the amount is less than £7.

Excise duty - this is charged on alcohol and tobacco products and is additional to customs duty. The excise duty on wines and spirits depends on the alcohol content and whether wine is sparkling or still. Duty on cigarettes is based on the percentage of the recommended retail selling price combined with a quantity charge. On other tobacco products eg cigars or hand rolling tobacco, it is charged on the net weight.

Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the value for customs duty plus any import duties charged.
So:
On a $34 LCD with $27 postage:
Customs duty = 3.5% of the item cost = £1.19 = less than £7, so it is waivered.
Excise Duty = N/A
VAT = 17.5% of item cost = £5.95

Total = $34 (£22.50) LCD, $27 (£17.80) Postage, £5.95 VAT = £46.25

Andrew

Last edited:

alband

I'm sure you'll end up paying more than that.
Note: Customs duty will be waived if the amount is less than £7.
Sure that doesn't mean that if the item is <£7 there'll be no charge.

Andrew Cowan

Thanks eclectic. When do you pay that? When the parcel arrives, or is it invoised later?

Alband - from the Roil Mail site: As of the 1st of December 2008 you will no longer be required to pay customs duty for goods up to the value of £105, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

However:
- Items in respect of which no import duty and/or tax is due will continue to be cleared through customs free of charge.
- Gifts between private individuals over the value of £36 are also liable for VAT.

So if anyone in America could buy it, and then sell it to me and mark it as a gift, then I would not need to pay any customs charges.

Andrew

Last edited:

eclectic

"Thanks eclectic. When do you pay that?
When the parcel arrives, or is it invoised later?"

Royal Mail want payment before handing over the parcel.

FedEx send an invoice weeks later (which can be a nasty shock!)

Either way, you lose!

e

PS. "So if anyone in America could buy it, and then sell it to me and mark it as a gift,
then I would not need to pay any customs charges."

And I wouldn't gamble on that one either!
:(

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Staff member
$34 item + $27 postage = $61 = £40 (using paypals exchange rate).
Seems like the days of cheap US imports are over with the latest financial upheavals. A few weeks ago that would have been £30.

So if anyone in America could buy it, and then sell it to me and mark it as a gift, then I would not need to pay any customs charges.
Possibly, but it only takes one jobsworth to decide to check if it really is a gift to create major hassle for you and whoever sent it. Then there's the moral issue for both of you in getting into illegal activity which this would be.

Andrew Cowan

At least this explains why whenever I buy something from china, it says 'Gift, value less than $5' on the box.

Anyway, assuming I will have to pay the customs charges, is there anyone else here who wants one bought for them?

For one: Total = $34 (£22.50) LCD, $27 (£17.80) Postage, £5.95 VAT, £8 Royal mail handling charge = Total £54.25

For two: Total = LCD £45, Postage £17.80, VAT £7.87, Royal Mail £8 = Total £78.67 = £39 each

For three: Total = LCD £67.50, Postage £17.80, VAT £11.80, Royal Mail £8 = £105.10 = £35 each

I have already found one person, so if I can find one more, I will order three LCD displays. PM me if you are interested.

Andrew

alband

Thanks Andy, good to know some things are getting better.
Must say, I've never experienced this delayed invoice. I've always had to pay before they'd give me my parcel.
I've only ever had RM and PF before though.

Andrew Cowan

Also, the contrast control looked a bit vague. Does it require +5v/-10v or not?
The version I am looking at has the DC/DC convertor in it. Pin 18 (VEE) gives out a negative voltage. The LCD datasheet shows the contrast being connected to a pot between negative voltage (I'll guess -5V) and positive voltage (5V) giving you a range of -5V to 5V.

The sample circuit diagram on the CircuitED website (in the easypic4 manual) shows the contrast pot being connected between -5V and 0V. Seems more sensible - I can't see that you would ever want a non negative voltage for the contrast.

Anyway, I've ordered some of these - I'll let you know what happens regarding customs and VAt etc.

Andrew

Andrew Cowan

They arrived via parcelforce, who charged £13.50 to handle them, and £14 VAT. Still, they are here, and I will design a PCB for the GLIC chip.

Andrew