BAS800 programmer and 16F886

Ricardo_Global

I have a BAS800 programmer, and it works ok. I am programing in asm. I need to program a 16F886, but there is no way I can select that device. The list of devices in the programmer software does not include it. There are many devices missing. The advertisment on the BAS800 says :
"The programmer supports all 8, 18 and 28 pin PICmicro 12C, 12F, 16C, 16F family microcontrollers (excluding the 16c5x family)."

How do I program a 16F886 and other devices, or where can I download an update for the software.

Thanks in advance.

westaust55

Last edited:

westaust55

The BAS800 is a serial PIC programmer (not PICAXE programmer)

For the software:

Programming Editor (BASIC or assembler code files)
This free software allows assembler code or BASIC programs to be entered, assembled
and programmed. It is a complete assembly code development environment. This
software may also be used with the BASIC interpreter which allows programs written in
PICAXE BASIC to be automatically converted into assembler code.
In the standard Rev Ed Programming Editor, you use the menu selection:
PICAXE / Convert BASIC to Assembler (Requires Programmer)
or use the keystroke: F2

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's not a PICAXE problem but an issue related to the BAS800 software. The BAS800 part can be launched even by those without a BAS800 programemr - Select PICmicro-Assembler in View->Options->Mode, then PICmicro->Program PICmicro, skip the 'no code', 'not responding' and up pops the BAS800 programming software.

I presume what Ricardo is saying is that there's no way to select 16F886 in the "PIC Type" frame. I cannot test because I don't have a BAS800 programmer nor any .HEX files the software will load.

eclectic

There doesn't appear to be an '886 in the options.

Fresh P.E. 5.20 download today.

BAS800 PCB 101101 REV.E.
about two years old.

I also notice that the options for 14 and 20 are greyed out.

Attachments

Ricardo_Global

Clarifying

Thanks evertbody for your reply.
I started using the PICAXE and it is great, but then I started doing dsome programming in assembly, using the 12F675 (8 pin), and the BAS800, and everythong is perfect. I Use microchip MPLAB to assemble and the BAS800 to program the pic. I have also used the 16F818 and 16F819 (18 pin).
But now that I want to use a more pins, I choose the 16F886 (28 pins) from the specs, later I noticed that there is a PICAXE using the same chip (no wonder, the specs are great for this device), but I want to use it whith assembly programs.
I have the PICAXE programming editor Ver 5.2.0 (as I know the version of the editor has a lot to do with the serial PIC programmer BAS800 software), and there is no choice for the 16F886 in there, When I change to the Serial PIC programmer option, I can not select the 16F886 because ther is no option for it.
In the BAS800 manual (2 sheets in pdf) it says "Then. whilst the Serial PIC Programmer software is running, press <CTRL><F3> and <CTRL><F7> to manually enable the 14 and 40 pin PIC options on screen"
All I wanto to know is if there is a similar trick I have to use in order to be able to program the 16F886 or if I have to get a different PIC programmer to do the job.
Thank you again and thanks in advance.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 16F886 raw assembler hex programming protocol is not yet included, although it is on our 'to do' list. Microchip bring out dozens of new PICs each year and seem to change the programming protocol for each device, so it is always hard work keeping the list up to date!

retepsnikrep

I too am pretty dissapointed after just purchasing the BAS800 to find no support for the 08M or a lot of related basic instructions.

I had to delete half my code before I found an instruction it would assemble :(

So does anyone have an reccomendations and links for a decent Pic assembler that can work with the BAS800 programmer.

RevED is there any eta for future assembler updates?

Thanks

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for finding that post eclectic. The commands only supported by the X1 can probably be added to those not supported by the BAS800 as well.

So does anyone have an reccomendations and links for a decent Pic assembler that can work with the BAS800 programmer.

BAS800 should be able to load .HEX files generated by any PICmicro compiler ( Basic, C, JAL, Assembler ). Microchip's free MPASM would probably be the best choice for Assembler and can be used standalone as well as part of MPLAB. There are a number of commerical Basic compiler products available, some of which have free demo versions but they will usually be code size limited or only support a limited number of PICmicro devices.

Some of the Basic compilers I know of are ...

Celestial Horizons' CH Flash Basic
Crownhill Proton PicBasic
Great Cow Basic
MeLabs PicBasic Compiler
Midwest Software's Basic18/Basic30F
mikroElektronika mikroBasic
OshonSoft
Swordfish
XCSB

You'll have to do some research to find which is best for what you need and to discover the reputation of each product. It's definitely a case of try before you buy. It's hard to give a recommendation because what I may want from a compiler may not be the same as anyone else wants or at the price they want to pay.