Old software

Frank42

I've put the new software on my old laptop, but it wont run with Windows 95, it has overwritten the old stuff and I've lost my copy of it. The laptop has no Internet access, but it's just the job for garage/workshop tinkering, so does anyone please have old PICAXE software that will be happy with Windows 95? I'll pay any costs.
Old Frank

nick12ab

I don't think any costs will be required...

How old does it need to be exactly? The wayback machine has one in 2007 and one in 2010 and also a copy from earlier this year too: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20070815000000*/http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/bas805.exe

It won't be a problem getting it on there - after all, you managed to get the new version on there which must have required some sort of networking or physical media.

Also, there's AXEPAD which is available from picaxe.com for free which might work but the download page implies Windows 2000 or later - but you can always try it. Apparently it also supports "all three of the windows, mac and linux operating systems" so you could also load some compact version of Linux too.

Frank42

Thanks, Nick. As hippy says, I'd forgotten where I'd posted my request and led me to it. Well, I'm old - that's my excuse. I'll try it.

Paix

I don't suppose that RevEd have an archived version tucked away somewhere. I know that it might be policy to always use the latest version, but every now and then exceptional circumstances arise. Frank obviously wants to spend his shekkles on Picaxe and not PCs - a laudable motive if ever there was one!

Anything at the back of the cupboard Technical?

papaof2

I've put the new software on my old laptop, but it wont run with Windows 95, it has overwritten the old stuff and I've lost my copy of it. The laptop has no Internet access, but it's just the job for garage/workshop tinkering, so does anyone please have old PICAXE software that will be happy with Windows 95? I'll pay any costs.
Old Frank
Check your Private Messages or Notifications.
John

nick12ab

The flaw with the "Wayback" option is that it has only a link to the Rev Ed website for the file bas805.exe
Therefore even though the primary image is from 2007, the file retrieve will be the latest version.
When following the link from the date index for the file, I get the message "The New Wayback Machine is having problems. Please try again later." so that might just be a temporary thing.

westaust55

Old Frank
@Frank
From a search of the forum, it would appear that any version of the P.E. prior to V5.3.0 will work with Win95/98.

I have the PE at V5.2.11 (size = 54MB) available which can be split with Winzip and emailed as many 5 MB files if you still required.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We don't generally publish old software because any software suitable for use on these very old obsolete Windows 95/98 versions simply won't have support for the current chips (e.g. X2 or M2 series) because they were not invented in those days!

Like most companies we support Windows XP upwards.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Just out of interest, why was Windows 98 compatibility removed?
It wasn't really "removed" it just became impractical to support.

One of the key ( non Rev-Ed ) components used by Programming Editor had been affected by a Microsoft ATL flaw and became a security risk. The secure component requires other Microsoft components which refuse to install on a 98 system.

The Microsoft security advisory can be found here ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/973882

The ATL flaw affected many developers as they had not realised they were creating security risk products which in turn presented security risks for their customers and end users. Products could be and were updated but those updates sometimes meant incompatibility with earlier versions of Windows which were knocked-on up the chain as is the case here.