Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Datalogging with uALFAT-TF and Hi2c

Im in portugal (EU).
    maybe direct order from GHI in US is the best choise evaluating the exchange rate USD/EURO.
    But would apreciate link to UK distributor to compare PricesperUnit/shipping costs
    Last edited by yamato96; 04-04-2008 at 01:00. Reason: bad speling

The distributor links are on the GHI website;

http://www.ghielectronics.com/distributors.php
    BCJ

BCJKiwi

Just wondered if there were any further updates or info for this project?

Thanks

Peter, do you have specific questions?

There have been minor changes to my program that uses this technology. It is basically complete and has not had further development at this time but may well do in the future. however apart from 8.3 / LFN file names (see below), the posted code is not likely to change as it seems to work well.

This thread was set up as an example of how one could do data logging to the GHI product and how to manage the device.

It was not intended to be a complete stand alone project.

There have been further updates from GHI to firmware with some changes to function.

Biggest issues were around the long file naming (8.3 naming not affected) which apparently is proprietary to Microsoft and requires licensing. Initially Microsoft demanded a license from every end user and the LFN functionality was removed.

It is now included in the new devices and can be retrospectively licensed (without cost) on the earlier devices so LFN is again available.

To me, the two main advantages of this product are;
    1. it works without hassles (unlike VDrive2 in my experience which does not support i2c and I could never get hSPI working and only the most basic bit banged SPI which was far too slow anyway - serial was not an option for this project)
    2. It fully supports writing and reading files in DOS (and Windows) style file formats so the media can be plugged straight into any PC type computer and used directly without additional interpretation.
    BCJ

Hi BCJKiwi
    Did you obtain the 3.3volt supply for the ualFAT from the same supply as the Picaxe, if so what did you use.
    Many thanks
    Centrex

Currently using a Max884 (free samples) to derive the 3.3V from the main 5V supply for the PICAXE etc.

Could also use the 3.3V available from the DE-ACCM3D accelerometer (included in the circuit) which has an on board 3.3V regulator, or, any other source.
    BCJ

Default SPI problems?

Many thanks BCJKiwi for a very useful contribution. It seems that the uALFAT with I2C is a better PICAXE match than the uDrive with UART that I have been evaluating.

For my low power/medium speed logging application I eventually gave up on the uDrive and now use 1Mbyte of EEPROM (with I2C bank select switching). In the future I plan to replace the eight EEPROM chips with a single 8-pin Atmel 4Mbytes DataFlash device, but have some concerns about the many negative comments on this forum regarding the 28-X1 implementation of SPI. Please could you elaborate on your experiences with trying to use SPI on the PICAXE?

Have not attempted to use SPI with the uAlfat as there are other i2c devices in the circuit and a) could not see the point of trying to mix spi andi2c on the same chip (possible but tricky) and b) was short on pins anyway.

Had previously tried to use SPI on a VDrive2 and completely failed. Don't how much of that was down to the PicAXE and how much was down to the VDrive2. Others seem to have good experience with SPI and it has higher speed potential than i2c.

Sorry but can't give you much more assitance than that but I do keep meaning to have another go at SPI - just don't have an application that has pushed me hard enough yet!
    BCJ

Know what you mean about needing an application to give that push. I have been delaying getting to grips with SPI and DataFlash. However, I have accumulated a nice pile of Atmel documentation and will have to make a start soon.

Wink What else do i need in order for this to run.

Hi, iv been trying to set this up to work on a 40x1 which i believe should work on the same code. ( I have obviously used the appropriate pins based on your tags in the 2nd post as to what each pin on the uALFAT connects to)

Iv connected up all the pins on the uALFAT as stated in your 2nd post, and iv also connected all the pins required to run the PICAXE, (power download socket etc) I have also put in 4k7 pull up resistors on the i2c data and clock pins. I have also connected a DS1307+.

In order to get the device to start logging what else do i need installed, im not great with picaxe code but would i be correct in thinking that input 1 is the switch to start the logging, does this need to be tied low using a pull down when not tied high?

Also it looks like the values the program logs are H H M M S S D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 D10 D11 D12 D13 D14 D15 D16 D17 D18 D19 D20,

what are the D values, and how do they relate to the input pins.

Sorry for probably sounding like a bit of newbie, i wouldnt usually ask, but iv already somehow fired one chip already (some how +v and -v fused together internally shorting my whole circuit and giving me a lovely burn off my voltage regulator . I have a 28x1 that im going to try working with until i can get a new 40x1 so any suggestions or help you could offer would be much apreiciated.

Just so you know i want to eventually use a 40x1 because i need more inputs and i know this means that ill need to change the code slightly.