Updated Weather Monitor

Jeremy Leach

I've done an update to my website, including a major revision to my 'Weather Monitor'. Here's the link if you're interested : <A href='http://home.btconnect.com/PicAxe_Projects/WeatherMonitor/WeatherMonitor.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

It's been a real slog, but have finally got it all working. I've basically revised all the code and circuits from my original version, and now included an anemometer and wind vane.

(may need to refresh if you've been to my site before).

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Phenomenal stuff, well done, and thanks for giving the time to give such a detailed project report.

manuka

I'm highly impressed, although (ahem) your UK location, contact email &amp; project dates weren't apparent! Are you in a local UK &quot;pineapple belt&quot; micro climate (tease-country side shown in one pix looks like Surrey?)- how do your readings relate to nearby official ones ?

Surely this is not all just for your general interest !? I've had degree final year student submissions that aren't up to this level. Interested in publishing perhaps (although refs. would be needed)?

I note your current drain comments, but in light of recent forum discussions it may be worth adding details re solar powering too.

Stan- who wouldn't mind on the spot viewing when soon in UK!

Edited by - stan. swan on 27/05/2006 00:34:02

Jeremy Leach

Thanks guys. It is for interest honestly, although I do like the idea of publishing too.

I really like reading magasine articles of interesting projects, so I thought I'd try to create my own. Plus I've come to the conclusion that I don't like all the messiness of web publishing and prefer to put self-contained 'articles' on my site.

Also, I found the 'pdf factory' site where you can get a fully working trial version - hence the stamp on the bottom of all pages ...but who cares !

It would be great if more people published info on their projects too. If anyone's interested in the nitty-gritty of how I produced these documents then I'm happy to go into it here. I just use MS Word, and it's really not too difficult, just a few tips/tricks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Have a look at CuteWrite.exe, that sets up a Printer-to-PDF generator which I've found to be quite good. 100% freeware, no watermarks etc. It works for what I need, but can't say how it will do for your own stuff.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/CuteWriter.shtml

You need to install GhostScript as well, and I recall a Google explained how to etc.

minminlight

Wow, well done, I am now doing a lot of ground work on the picaxe etc.the wallet may be lighter this time next week
regards
Sam
I use Wordperfect for PDF files

AllanBertelsen

Hi Jeremy
That's quite an update. I'm very impressed. I hope this will inspire others to document and share their projects. I miss the page about reading button with as few components as possible. I have used it for my own project.
As I felt inspired, I have just uploaded a PDF <A href='http://www.ab-it.dk/picaxe.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>
Any comments would be appreciated.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Another superb project report. Well done Allan.

I really think that Rev-Ed should link to ( even host ) detailed project reports like this. I find them very inspirational even if they are not the things I am interested in doing myself.

Jeremy Leach

Allan that's great. I really like the photos and the labelling of the photo was a good idea. It's refreshing to be looking at someone's elses pdf !

One thing ...not sure what format you used for your diagrams, but I find enhanced metafile (.emf) the best, as it seems to display perfectly on screen, unlike .gif.

I can appreciate the work behind this write-up too !

There's a great diversity of projects out there and although I probably won't be building a stoker heater controller I still find it very interesting, and a source of ideas.

AllanBertelsen

Thanks for the responses.
I use MS Word and a PDF printer driver as the one Hippy suggest. The diagrams were drawn in PowerPoint but a vectorized copy would not resize the letters correctly in Word and spoil the diagrams. So it's copied to paint and from there to Word and downscaled by word. Word chooses its own format to represent the BMP. I believe its jpeg. The optimal representation would be GIF as it's optimized for pixel-graphics. I'll find another vectorized technique for the final version. Then the file will be smaller to. This was just a quick production.