Project Activity Poll

Are you doing anything interesting with PICAXE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

techElder

Since it is kind of quiet here lately, why not tell a little about what you are up to with PICAXE at the moment?

I am working on some #INCLUDE files for my programming of display devices such as numeric LEDs and strings of LEDs. My grandson keeps pestering me to finish his LED lantern modification that includes a microwave motion device and PWM dimming of the LEDs.

lbenson

Projects:

Assist in "gramps" hammered dulcimer project.

Add boiler pump and burner ON/OFF monitoring to house monitoring scheme.

Add some HC12 + picaxe sensor modules to house monitoring scheme.

Add battery backup charging and monitoring for modem, router, and several small linux devices (Dockstars).

Teach high school senior about PICAXE, programming, and sensors based on 37 in 1 Sensor Module Kit Set:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/37-in-1-Sensor-Module-Kit-Set-for-Arduino-UNO-R3-Mega-DIY-Sensor-Kit-RS/173321959717?hash=item285acb3925

oracacle

I have just finished a light up display for a 3D printed t-rex.
I have a on going project which is a major update to an old project. It uses a nextion display and will be be triggered by a sound or light flash with the possibility of having external sensor as well.

techElder

WooHoo! :D Interesting projects all! Keep them coming, because there's only a few days left. Perhaps a youngster will catch an idea from one of these and have a constructive summer season.

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

Aries

I've almost finished a Picaxe 28X2 power monitor (import/export/photovoltaic) showing instantaneous (well, every 3 seconds or so) watts, plus cumulative KWh. Display is a 4x20 LCD. Results also go via an NRF24L01 to a datalogger based on Picaxe 28X2 + the Hobbytronics Ardulog (http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino/arduino-boards/ardulog-v3) - similar to the Sparkfun Openlog but more control of file naming.

newplumber

I just finished "THE RGB CLOCK" and soon will add it to the finished projects page
I currently am getting ready for a big surplus auction ...so not much time to be here
and am working on a "Picaxe Auction Sign" to help the auctioneer attract more people so
we both can try to make more $$

btw I guess I don't understand how the voting works

techElder

These are great projects we're keeping busy with.

It is good to hear about different projects "in the works" sometimes. I think we get a little weary of just fixing problems and answering questions.

The "POLL" is the first item on this page. Whether you see it or not depends on the way you are viewing the forum. Please vote! :D

buntay

Completed Projects in the past 6 months:

1: Picaxe controlled Transmission cooling system for Dodge 3500 with an NV5600 transmission.
2: Remote water meter reading and control using 08m2 project board, uart tcp network module, water valve, under the control of self written VB6 application

Prototyping stage:
1: Remote watthour meter reading, through local area network
2: coal furnace upgrade to be controlled and monitored by picaxe and VB6 application. (mechanical safeties retain final control).

Thoughts brewing in my head:

not giving those away.....hahahaha

techElder

Reveal your deepest most interesting projects to all of us! The spy quality details are not necessary to make your projects interesting to the forum. Just the facts!

The "POLL" is the first item on this page. Whether you see it or not depends on the way you are viewing the forum. Please vote!

PS. There are more posts than votes, so if you haven't voted, please do. Not to worry about voting twice in this election! :D

Bill.b

I'm still building my robot car.
at present is has
4 ultrasonic sensors, 3 front and 1 rear.
2 IR distance sensors, for wall follower mode
5 IR line follower sensors
2 motor rotation sensors.
MP3 voice SPE 035
3 servos - 2 on the camera pan & tilt and 1 on the forward scan sensor.
1 5.8 gHz video camera.
1 Blue tooth receiver for remote control HC06
2 LDRs for light control.
1 PIR movement detector
4 IR cliff detectors.
Mode selector for 8 different modes of operation, Wall tracker, Free roaming, Remote control, Line follower, light follower, Light avoidance, Follow ME, learn / playback.
1 16 * 2 OLED display.
Processors - 1 40X2, 4 14M2, 1 08M2
2 Motors with H bridge controller with PWM speed control.
1 digital compass module
1 EEPROM.
1 6,600mA/H lithium ion battery

Bill

Last edited:

roho

I'm working on a very long term project, namely an automated model railway. I'm using 14M2s and 18M2s to control servos that switch two and three way turn outs and slips, and 28X2s and 40X2s for turn out control, power control and also train position sensing once I've worked out what I want to do.

erco

Yes, I'm using Picaxes regularly in toy prototypes for many big companies. They are confidential IP, so I am never free to share current projects, but here's one example from last year. The video shows the first reveal of the toy at New York Toy Fair. I built the guts inside Pikachu. Picaxe, LEDs, MP3 player, several motion, attitude & impact switches. Long video, the product starts ~1:55. Not me presenting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h71Mb5EN61k

I learn something new on almost every project, just stretching and adding to my arsenal of electronic trickery.

AndyGadget

Just upgraded the solar panel powering 12v fill and circulate pumps to my small pond and added more fish so I'm building a bio water filter unit and will be including a motion triggered heron deterrent similar to commercial ones - Buzzard call (MP3 player), flashing lights and waving arms. The Picaxe (14M2) is already controlling the charging and timing of pump action but will be controlling the filter and deterrent as well.

inglewoodpete

I always seem to have several PICAXE projects on the go at once!

Recently completed:
  • Wireless (HC12) motor vehicle monitor link to the house's living area. Our house is in a heritage protection area and we can only have an open car port between the house and the street's footpath. On occasion, our car has (unintentionally) been left unlocked overnight. Thankfully, there has only been petty theft to date on rare occasions. The system uses a PIC (programmed in Microchip C) that monitors the doors and door locks in the vehicle, linked to a fixed PICAXE 20X2 in the house. The PICAXE uses background serial reception and beeps and switches coloured LEDs when the vehicle status changes or when comms is lost. The links uses a fixed-length data packets with checksums and retries/time-outs to manage the link.
  • Clock 'tower' installed in a public recreation park in the City of Joondalup. The clock receives GPS satellite signals linked to a 28X2 using the background serial data feature. The PICAXE receives GPS data, confirms the checksum, adjusts the hour to local time and drives a series of solenoids to chime the hour and quarter-hour (Westminster chimes) on a series on metal rubbish/trash cans and buckets. I hope to document this project in "completed projects" soon.
Currently under development:
  • Battery monitor for a portable gas host water system in our camper-trailer. Yes, Mrs IP and I are getting a bit soft as we mature and like hot water on demand when we go camping (or should I say glamping?). The HWS uses 2 "D" cell batteries to manage the gas valve and burner ignition. The power switch was accidently left on during a recent camping trip and we couldn't have our hot showers after the batteries flattened (D cells are a bit expensive and we weren't carrying spares):(. I've used an 08M2 connected to the 3v power wire, after the power switch, to monitor the battery voltage and give a brief, periodical pip-sequence to (1) alert us that the unit has been left switched on and (2) report the condition (voltage) of the batteries.
  • LED light dimmer using an 08M2 and a rotary encoder. The unit will use PWM from the PICAXE to drive a 12v white LED strip. This project is still in the early stages of code development for the rotary encoder.

neiltechspec

Over 600 views and only 12 poll votes !!
Hmmm, what does that tell you - I know what it tells me, but we won't go there.

I was the one who voted NO, an honest answer as I am not doing anything new at the moment.
Although since that vote, I have built another high power 12v PWM Fan Controller, the 4th of these I have built in the last 2 years.

Neil.

Technoman

Hi,

At school :
- completed : remote controlled robot using IR (20M2+20M2) and a Grove mini joystick
- planned : tablet controlled robot using Bluetooth HC06 module (20M2) / a new robot controller board based upon an AXE401 (28X2) and a motor shield

Personal project :
- shut off controlled outdoor lighting (08M2)

techElder

Getting close to cutoff time! :D

There certainly are a lot of varied projects going. Even neiltechspec found something to work on! :D (I agree that I'm surprised this topic has more lookers than posters! :D)

Please post what you are working on. It doesn't have to be tied to the space program!

I neglected to mention that I'm also slowly working on a height measuring gadget for my grandson (who is growing faster than my project!) I'm using an APA102 string of LEDs and a Sharp infrared distance device. Someone on here has done this before, but this is MY version! :D

Keep these projects coming.

Please vote in the poll at the top of this thread.

Not hardware, not software developing, now I am writing, in Latex, detailed programming guide with pictures and source codes for Kolobot. Still a lot of hours of writing ahead of me.
Perhaps, I should mention that I am working on "a new brain" for Kolobot. I'd like to push 08M2 to its limits.

Last edited:

Circuit

Alarm system for elderly parents - SOS button and "Call" button - PICAXE to PICAXE over a LORA link.
Speed regulator for model steam engine.
Programmable model railway speed controller.

My projects are mainly ham radio related. Currently completing an automatic antenna tuning unit using on a 28X2 to go with a low power CW transceiver for the 20 metre ham band. Also a frequency counter for the same transceiver using another 28X2 and which sends the operating frequency (using ICOM IC-7000 protocol) to the logging program running on a laptop.

The ham radio transceiver that I completed a year ago used seven PICAXEs to control various functions.

Finally I will probably have to make another timer (using an 08M2) for the local gliding club. This timer turns off the ground and air band transceivers in vehicles used on the airfield when the ignition has been off for 1 hour. This ensures batteries are not run down because the driver forgot to turn the radios off when he put the vehicles away.

Richard

techElder

Whoa, this is all I knew about "LaTeX" ...
Latex is a stable dispersion of polymer microparticles in an aqueous medium.
... before now! Good show! Now I looked up something new. Most projects need better documentation than we give them.

Controls, alarms, aids for the elderly (ME! :D). These are all great stuff for PICAXE projects.

There must be more! Please vote, too.

Dartmoor

First project was an automatic level crossing for a passenger carrying miniature railway.
A number of varied remote control systems for model (battery powered) locomotives. Some using keyfob radio Tx, some with IR control.
An automated Thomas the Tank Engine to run back & forth unattended.
Current trials include a (miniature railway) Picaxe interlocking and control of signals via LoRa. Also a token/tablet/train staff type system using ibuttons.
Future plans include GPS based train control & a "cruise control" for model steam locomotive (I guess similar to Circuit's project in a previous post above?).

Definitely fun, just need some time to play!!

AllyCat

Hi,

There's certainly still plenty on my "ToDo" list. The PICaxe capabilities which particularly interest me are its small size and very low power consumption. Typical applications are for 24/7 "environmental" sensing (e.g. weather conditions), generally connected wirelessly and using only battery-power, or charged by very modest solar panels (e.g. cannibalised from solar garden lights).

For construction, I now often design my layouts to fit in the space of a single AA cell ! It avoids the need to devise a custom "enclosure" since the module fits directly inside the battery box, or even the battery compartment of existing equipment. In particular, an "AA PICaxe" plus a single LiFePO4 AA cell (3.2 volts) can fit in the 2 x AA battery compartment of many off-the-shelf devices.

These can be built without recourse to SMD components or even a custom PCB. A piece of Veroboard (stripboard) or "perfboard", 6 holes wide by 19 - 20 holes long is the size of an AA cell, providing the outer two tracks are slightly pared down to an overall 14 mm width. Typically, the edge tracks provide supply and ground rails, whilst the 08M2 sits in the middle of the board. Of course some track cuts and links are needed, with components standing mainly vertically, but these can be easily documented by the updated (2016) version of PEBBLE (v3.1e).

In addition to the 08M2 it's possible to fit on "dummy" battery terminals at the ends of the board and a standard PICaxe programming socket, but the "Legacy" Molex-style connector pins are more versatile and can save board space. I've fitted various other components to these boards, for example a buzzer/sounder (e.g. for low battery warning) or an RJ12 socket (common for weather station sensors) or even a second 8-pin DIL socket for an I2C EEPROM, or as a "GPIO header". Thus one of my projects still to formally document is an "AA data logger" which fits inside an AA battery compartment and can monitor/log the voltage (CALIBADCxx), current drain (through the dummy battery contacts) and temperature (CHIPTEMP) etc., for a considerable period.

Another fun project is "A weather station in an 08M2" (or two 08M2s if a wireless-link is required). Wind Speed and Rain can use simple pulse counters, with Temperature, Humidity and Barometric pressure sensors, etc. on the I2C bus (the BME280 does all these in one tiny package). Also, solar light level, charging and control can be performed with a single PV panel and one PICaxe pin. However, there are several contenders to measure wind direction; I've previously trialled both the "Rotorvane" devised by Derek Weston, and the "Ultrasonic time of Flight" method. The Rotorvane appeals because, in principle, it can measure Wind Speed and Direction on just one PICaxe (digital input) pin. ;)

In addition to the above, I still have plans to "finish" my code snippets for CHIPTEMP (improved READINTERNALTEMP routine) and the BME280 (humidity sensing). Also, a Sun Position calculator (to complement the Sunrise/Sunset program) and an "08M2-powered AXE133" (to drive the LCD/OLED displays which already have an I2C "backpack" fitted). Not to mention the "Lithium AA cell on wheels" line-follower (using dual acceleration-controlled miniature steppers), and several other projects.

Cheers, Alan.

techElder

So, it looks like 22 folks are working on PICAXE projects out of the 1500 that have viewed this thread. This must be a really boring topic! :D

Some very nice and interesting projects going on, but I'm sure that there are more out there, too.

The polling will stop soon, so jump in here and let others know how you've found a way to solve a problem with a PICAXE processor.

PS. Don't forget to vote in the poll at the top of this page!

Shorneee

OK, you made me feel bad for keep looking and not replying;)

Not particularly interesting but it's the latest thing I made and I keep messing with the code so it's still a work in progress, kind of.

It's an aquarium lighting controller which uses the timer built into the existing hood to provide an on/off signal for day/night.

Timer switches on - Read a potentiometer to determine how bright the lights should be then fade them up to that level over about 10 minutes.

Timer switches off - Switch on the blue evening lights and fade the day lights down over 10 minutes. Wait a few hours and then switch off the blue lights.

Saves the fish getting freaked out by sudden on/off of the bright day lights and gives the tank a nice blue glow during the evening. Way cooler than the old fluorescent lamps.

Sean...

techElder

... Not particularly interesting but it's the latest thing I made and I keep messing with the code so it's still a work in progress....
Exactly what we've all found and do with our projects ... solve a problem!

Once, I had a friend come visit, and during our conversations about heating/cooling a pool of water, he wondered what the earth temperature was in the area at a certain depth. So, we conjured up the project with a digital temp probe, an 08M2 and a battery box. Then we wrapped it all up in a plastic bag and buried it. The program saved temperature readings into EEPROM for 48 hours.

It wasn't scientific, but certainly was good information that we didn't know about before. That PICAXE project took us a couple of hours including digging the hole!

NO PROJECT IS TOO SMALL OR INSIGNIFICANT! Please also vote in the poll at the top of the page.

Time is running out!

MartinM57

Just sitting here batch programming (well, one a time, to be honest) 60 more 08M2 for a small commercially-available project. Programmed/sold around 250 so far - but sorry, won't be drawn into what it is ;)

Could have done it with an 8-pin AVR, but the cost difference is pretty small, in the grand scheme, and not worth the effort/battle of programming the AVR in C to do the equivalent of some of the high level PICAXE Basic commands I use.

Buzby

I've got two projects on the go, but not much time to spend on them, so it's slow going.

One is the Space Invader playfield. Originally I had two MM5450 and a 20X2, but there was (a) too much wiring, and (b) an intermittent hardware fault somewhere that I couldn't find. But then I discovered APA102 LED strings ( not strips ), so I'm going to re-build using those, if I can remember where I saw them.

The second is an automatic lawn mower. Based on a cheap electric mower, I added two 'kiddie car' motor/gearboxes and an eBay motor drive board. There are still some mechanical mods to make before I can power it up, then the fun will start.

My problem is I don't enjoy building hardware, but I love writing software. I'm always writing bit of code to try new ideas, but never get round to implementing them. ( There is a rather cool board for the A******o and RP* that adds 3D gesture sensing to a project. I'm tempted to buy one, but when I get it working on a PICAXE what will I use it for ?. It will just end up in the drawer with the eInk display, the linear photo array, the Sea-of-LEDs board, etc., etc. )

Cheers,

Buzby

WHITEKNUCKLES

Simple Terminator

Bosch Ni-Cd battery powered garden tools perform much better when fresh off the supplied mains charger when the charge is terminated at a suitable temperature.
Bosch instructions are approx 3 to 4 hours normal charge and a temperature rise indicates full charge.

A redundant wireless 13A through connected plug/socket with a large case has space for a propriety 5v supply, a relay, a Picaxe and a remote temperature sensor cable.
This will replace an Inkbird ITC-310 Temperature Controller that isolates the charger from the mains to prevent long term overcharging.

Dave

manuka

With retirement & weary vision I've rather parked many educational e-projects in favour of carpentry, travel & family activities. Other micro platforms have taken my fancy as well- Y2K era PICAXE approaches can tend dated these days...

Response posts caught my eye however & I modestly report -somewhat predictably- that my bench hosts updated PICAXE driven 433 MHz devices with a BT/BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) smartphone slant.

Footnote: Most smartphones now suport BLE, & it's low energy needs suit "lite" monitoring applications. Juicy modules (even so called "LoRa-tooth" and "3 in 1" BLE/WiFi/LoRa) are emerging - see this recent Instructable which focuses on Nordic's nRF51822 .

Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

matchbox

So, it looks like 22 folks are working on PICAXE projects out of the 1500 that have viewed this thread. This must be a really boring topic! :D

Some very nice and interesting projects going on, but I'm sure that there are more out there, too.

The polling will stop soon, so jump in here and let others know how you've found a way to solve a problem with a PICAXE processor.

PS. Don't forget to vote in the poll at the top of this page!
I know the poll is now closed. I didn't vote; because I'm half way between at the moment. I have a few idea's in the pipe line. But are not there yet.

Although; I often spend a bit of time here and there; making program changes and upgrades to some of my finished projects. To make them work even better. It is amazing how observing the operation of different projects over years of operation, can reveal better and more fluid ways of making them work.
Plus time also shows up short comings that you may have over looked; when first setting up the hardware and debugging the code.

techElder

There does seem to be a certain "core" of PICAXE users that are active, and consistently so, with the PICAXE in various parts of their projects. These examples indicate that there are still many ways to use simple interpreted BASIC in hardware.

With such a small sample (such as "27 out of 2K views") its impossible to create statistics, but that wasn't the intention.

Dartmoor

With such a small sample (such as "27 out of 2K views") its impossible to create statistics, but that wasn't the intention.
I don't think you should pay any attention to these figures:
Only a certain type of person will answer a poll.
Those who post &/or vote will view this thread many times to see what others have said.
The lucky ones will be too busy having fun building Picaxe projects to bother voting or posting!
Could be lots who find themselves here having searched how to rig an election? ;-)

Always remember "Lies, damn lies & statistics".

steliosm

It might also being the fact that the poll asked for an "interesting" project with a Picaxe. Not every project might seems interesting to all. I think I voted "yes" for the poll and I'm actually working on three different projects with Picaxe at the moment. Are they interesting? They are to me :)

slimplynth

I've just finished adding a wireless LED strip light controller and TV remote to my LAMP server. Was lucky enough to scoop up a good number 28X2's last year, had a week off work so I 'recorded' the IR signals for the LED Strip Lights and TV controller.. a 28x2 is dedicated to each remote control.. have plenty of 28x2s to replicate throughout the house.. instant mood lighting change by clicking one button and still not an Alexa in sight.. the 282's for TV and Lighting share an HC-11 (I think) connection to a raspberry pi, which serves the webpages.. the Ones and Zeros of the infrared signals are recreated by using PWM commands.. it's the first time I've ever had to really try hard to stay inside the limit for program memory size.. just watching Last Jedi.. the urge to change the mood lighting is too much to ignore and highly satisfying :)

Last edited:

afb

Several balls in the air at the same time!

I'm revising an existing button/LED programmed timer for electric powered free flight model aircraft to now be programmed by a menu-driven hand-held display using the AXE131 2x8ch OLED display. In the main the timer controls the duration of the motor run and the time before the model is DT'd (de-thermalised to bring it down) with the option to pre-empt the DT period by a signal from an RC receiver on the model. A number of other model configuration features are supported.

I'm also revising my existing engine sound simulator for RC models to be used in a ride-on model lorry based on a mobility scooter chassis - remove the seat, drop the bars, fit a cab, sit on a flat wooden load-bed to drive - the RC interface is replaced by a bulb/LDR module connected to the 24v motor and the speed demand is now read by ADC rather than pulsein. I've also added a horn function.

The most ambitious project is a gun controller for RC model warships using a stepper motor for proportional speed traverse, a miniature linear servo for elevation (manual or automatic) and when fired (manual or automatic) recoil using a miniature linear servo, muzzle flash from a white LED and a DFMiniPlayer issues the 'bang' - the clever guy making the gun is also equipping it with smoke and cartridge ejection!