​ ​ ​ ​ Project Activity Poll - Page 2

View Poll Results: Are you doing anything interesting with PICAXE?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

5 18.52%
  • Yes! (Describe in a post below.)

22 81.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project Activity Poll

I'm working on a very long term project, namely an automated model railway. I'm using 14M2s and 18M2s to control servos that switch two and three way turn outs and slips, and 28X2s and 40X2s for turn out control, power control and also train position sensing once I've worked out what I want to do.

Yes, I'm using Picaxes regularly in toy prototypes for many big companies. They are confidential IP, so I am never free to share current projects, but here's one example from last year. The video shows the first reveal of the toy at New York Toy Fair. I built the guts inside Pikachu. Picaxe, LEDs, MP3 player, several motion, attitude & impact switches. Long video, the product starts ~1:55. Not me presenting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h71Mb5EN61k

I learn something new on almost every project, just stretching and adding to my arsenal of electronic trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by erco View Post
    something new on almost every project
    "Social play", woohoo. Nifty, congratulations.

Just upgraded the solar panel powering 12v fill and circulate pumps to my small pond and added more fish so I'm building a bio water filter unit and will be including a motion triggered heron deterrent similar to commercial ones - Buzzard call (MP3 player), flashing lights and waving arms. The Picaxe (14M2) is already controlling the charging and timing of pump action but will be controlling the filter and deterrent as well.

I always seem to have several PICAXE projects on the go at once!

Recently completed:
    • Wireless (HC12) motor vehicle monitor link to the house's living area. Our house is in a heritage protection area and we can only have an open car port between the house and the street's footpath. On occasion, our car has (unintentionally) been left unlocked overnight. Thankfully, there has only been petty theft to date on rare occasions. The system uses a PIC (programmed in Microchip C) that monitors the doors and door locks in the vehicle, linked to a fixed PICAXE 20X2 in the house. The PICAXE uses background serial reception and beeps and switches coloured LEDs when the vehicle status changes or when comms is lost. The links uses a fixed-length data packets with checksums and retries/time-outs to manage the link.
    • Clock 'tower' installed in a public recreation park in the City of Joondalup. The clock receives GPS satellite signals linked to a 28X2 using the background serial data feature. The PICAXE receives GPS data, confirms the checksum, adjusts the hour to local time and drives a series of solenoids to chime the hour and quarter-hour (Westminster chimes) on a series on metal rubbish/trash cans and buckets. I hope to document this project in "completed projects" soon.
    Currently under development:
    • Battery monitor for a portable gas host water system in our camper-trailer. Yes, Mrs IP and I are getting a bit soft as we mature and like hot water on demand when we go camping (or should I say glamping?). The HWS uses 2 "D" cell batteries to manage the gas valve and burner ignition. The power switch was accidently left on during a recent camping trip and we couldn't have our hot showers after the batteries flattened (D cells are a bit expensive and we weren't carrying spares). I've used an 08M2 connected to the 3v power wire, after the power switch, to monitor the battery voltage and give a brief, periodical pip-sequence to (1) alert us that the unit has been left switched on and (2) report the condition (voltage) of the batteries.
    • LED light dimmer using an 08M2 and a rotary encoder. The unit will use PWM from the PICAXE to drive a 12v white LED strip. This project is still in the early stages of code development for the rotary encoder.

Over 600 views and only 12 poll votes !!
    Hmmm, what does that tell you - I know what it tells me, but we won't go there.

I was the one who voted NO, an honest answer as I am not doing anything new at the moment.
    Although since that vote, I have built another high power 12v PWM Fan Controller, the 4th of these I have built in the last 2 years.

Neil.
    Technician - One who does precision guesswork based on
    unreliable data provided by those with questionable knowledge

Hi,

At school :
    - completed : remote controlled robot using IR (20M2+20M2) and a Grove mini joystick
    - planned : tablet controlled robot using Bluetooth HC06 module (20M2) / a new robot controller board based upon an AXE401 (28X2) and a motor shield

Personal project :
    - shut off controlled outdoor lighting (08M2)

Blog Entries

Getting close to cutoff time!

There certainly are a lot of varied projects going. Even neiltechspec found something to work on! (I agree that I'm surprised this topic has more lookers than posters! )

Please post what you are working on. It doesn't have to be tied to the space program!

I neglected to mention that I'm also slowly working on a height measuring gadget for my grandson (who is growing faster than my project!) I'm using an APA102 string of LEDs and a Sharp infrared distance device. Someone on here has done this before, but this is MY version!

Keep these projects coming.

Please vote in the poll at the top of this thread.
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXVI
    "Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know." ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Not hardware, not software developing, now I am writing, in Latex, detailed programming guide with pictures and source codes for Kolobot. Still a lot of hours of writing ahead of me.
    Perhaps, I should mention that I am working on "a new brain" for Kolobot. I'd like to push 08M2 to its limits.
    Last edited by procfanousek; 14-06-2018 at 15:36.

Alarm system for elderly parents - SOS button and "Call" button - PICAXE to PICAXE over a LORA link.
    Speed regulator for model steam engine.
    Programmable model railway speed controller.