​ ​ ​ ​ 40x2 giving headaches - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 40x2 giving headaches

Technical Support

Reservoir and decoupling caps are not always essential and it should not be a problem to leave all I/O floating.

It would be worth putting a couple of 100nF on the vertical power rails to see if that works. And maybe change the 10K reset resistor to 4K7 but I doubt either will affect anything though would be pleased to proved wrong.

It would also be worth checking all the voltages at all the points power goes to, and also worth doing a continuity check of all 0V tracking.

Checking what the markings are on the PICAXE itself would be a good idea. I am wondering if it could be an older 40X which requires a resonator to run rather than the 40X2 you think it is ?

Yes, I have worked with the 40x1. In fact, my home alarm monitoring system has been running none stop since 2013!
    As I have mentioned before, using the same breadboard, I set up 08m2, 14m2, 28x2 after I was unable to get the 40x2 up and working. All programmed with no problems. The 40x2 are all brand new from Anderson.

You might ask Eric to try programming one of his stock... assuming he knows how... [Peter certainly did!]

Sometimes things get figured out!
    Looks like I have an intermittent problem with the way I set up the AXE027 programming cable which I found. Just before I was going to throw out six 40x1&2s, I tried my old RS232 programming cable. I had gone with the AXE027 because I had had problems with the old setup. Well, the 40x1&2s programmed with NO PROBLEM! I am a happy camper!

The moral to this story for those folks out there who are having weird and/or unexplained problems....CHECK YOUR SETUP! Be sure it is what it is.

A lesson learned...again!

Thanks for everyone's help and insights, as usual.

The usual... ;-0

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by sbscott View Post
    Looks like I have an intermittent problem with the way I set up the AXE027 programming cable which I found.
    Glad to hear you have found the problem. It seemed it either was the PICAXE chips or something with your setup. Unlikely to be the PICAXE and your setup seemed to be working so it was very hard to see where the problem actually was.

I dismissed it being a cable or connection issue when you had it working with other PICAXE chips and you could see the test voltage reaching the 40X2's input.

I was tending towards 'send it back, to get the chip tested'. That would have confirmed that it wasn't the chip but not sure it would have greatly helped with solving what the problem was though.