​ ​ ​ ​ Please point me to some step by step basics to code the PICAXE using Blockly. - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Please point me to some step by step basics to code the PICAXE using Blockly.

All wired, tested, and ready for a Picaxe, ordered May 5th and still not here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What if we glued one of these little guys to each of the hammers? Would that trigger the pin?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/163...oaAsJgEALw_wcB

Smile Mercury switch

Sure - and: There are really tiny 10 cenrt mercury switches that could work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Mercu...AAAOSwyXhZxPH2 Put a bit of silocne rubber on each glass capsule... perhaps a capacitor to 'remember' switch has jiggled...
    Last edited by premelec; 13-06-2018 at 03:05. Reason: typo & detail

Yes! Very cool low-tech idea!

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    All wired, tested, and ready for a Picaxe, ordered May 5th and still not here!
    Who did you order from ?

If it was direct from the PICAXE store we can check what the status of the order is, when it was dispatched, try to figure out where it is. If that's the case you can email the store with your order number and we will do our best to get it promptly sorted out -

http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php...ontact-address

I believe the general rule for overseas shipping is 7 days. Things are often delivered quicker than that but I believe 'within 14 days' is what most shippers say to expect. Unfortunately we have no direct control over what happens once an item goes out the door and it's in someone else's hands.

Thank you, still have not heard back from the United States Post Office.
    I emailed picaxe store again this morning and included my order number
    Last edited by Gramps; 13-06-2018 at 14:25.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    What if we glued one of these little guys to each of the hammers? Would that trigger the pin?
    Let's say that it's not the way I would do it.

Firstly, the data sheet says: "The analog outputs are ratiometric: that means that 0g measurement output is always at half of the 3.3V output (1.65V), -3g is at 0v and 3g is at 3.3V" which means that the "idle" output state may be an "undefined" (unknown) logic level. I assume that the "hammers" are hand-held, not in a mechanical linkage like a piano?

I suspect that "waving the hammers around in the air" might create 3g signals and actually hitting a string (or anything else) may produce much larger accelerations (subject to the frequency response of the low-pass filter). Also, beware that acceleration is a "vector", i.e. it has not just a "magnitude" but also a "direction" (including a positive/negative sign) so detection (or interpretation anyway) can be quite complex.

Therefore, IMHO you would struggle to detect reliable "string hit" events from a high sensitivity accelerometer (or a mercury "tilt" switch), at least if mounted on a "drumstick" type of hammer. Since your aim is to detect when a string is being hit, personally I'd detect the sound (or at least the vibrations) that it produces!

Cheers, Alan.

It appears that the metal string pairs are electrically isolated, so a piece of conductive tape on the hammer might work......
    A mike pickup seemed the most obvious way to go
    Last edited by Gramps; 13-06-2018 at 16:47.

Hi,

Yes, I'm all for the KISS (Keep It SimpleS) approach. It really depends how "invasive" you're prepared for the solution to be, relative to the normal operation of the instrument.

Cheers, Alan.

Alligator clip jumpers to parallel the string pairs to one pin might work.