PE6 suggestion

rq3

I spent the afternoon playing with the workspace editor functions of PE6. It took a bit to get used to, but I like it. One function that I would love to see is the ability to add ANY file to the workspace (not just a compatable file) and the ability to link the executable used to create/open that file.

For example, it would be nice if I could add an ExpressPCB (or an Eagle , or a Gerber ) file to the workspace, and tell it to use ExpressPCB, or Eagle, or my Gerber viewer, to open it. Currently, I don't see a way to do that.

If the workspace is supposed to be a repository for ALL of the files pertaining to a project (basically a drawer in a file cabinet), it doesn't quite make it. Even the ability to add a file name to the workspace "container" would be useful as a reminder that the file exists, even if the workspace can't open it.

Just a thought, and it is quite likely that I am missing some function that would allow the workspace to do this already.

oracacle

Never had an issue, right click a file and view in explorer open the older it resides in, all files pertaining to a project should be there.
Also not sure if that the intention would be to support files that are not natively supported by PE6, personally don't think that would make sense.
Then there is the clutter issue, if you are working on a project you may have several circuit diagrams and PCB designs, then there are all the data sheet (it does support PDF iirc), then the CAD files, then the G-code files for CNC milling, or STL files for 3D printing.
So the main project that I am currently working on is made up of 9 CAD models, there are at least three circuit design going through the prototyping stage, 2 PCB designs and 2 data sheets excluding the one for the PICAXE. This is a fairly small project in terms of its requirements of files, the folder that has everything in it is separated with subfolders, a folder for CAD files, a folder for code, a folder for circuit and PCB design with the names containing version data. Each version of the code will have a reference for what version of the CAD and circuit/PCB design is being used and file locations and names for data sheets. everything you need in a few comment lines at the top of code. The other upside to this is: if something goes wrong, finding the code will allow you to find everything that relates to the project.

I also use Windows+r and type the drive address to go directly drive where I keep the thing I am looking for. Tapping the first letter of the folder that it resides in take you to the folder (keep tapping it and it will cycle through every file and folder beginning with that letter, or you can type the first 2 letter of the file/folder). Microsoft have actually done a really good job of keyboard shortcuts for just about everything

rq3

Never had an issue, right click a file and view in explorer open the older it resides in, all files pertaining to a project should be there.
Also not sure if that the intention would be to support files that are not natively supported by PE6, personally don't think that would make sense.
Then there is the clutter issue, if you are working on a project you may have several circuit diagrams and PCB designs, then there are all the data sheet (it does support PDF iirc), then the CAD files, then the G-code files for CNC milling, or STL files for 3D printing.
So the main project that I am currently working on is made up of 9 CAD models, there are at least three circuit design going through the prototyping stage, 2 PCB designs and 2 data sheets excluding the one for the PICAXE. This is a fairly small project in terms of its requirements of files, the folder that has everything in it is separated with subfolders, a folder for CAD files, a folder for code, a folder for circuit and PCB design with the names containing version data. Each version of the code will have a reference for what version of the CAD and circuit/PCB design is being used and file locations and names for data sheets. everything you need in a few comment lines at the top of code. The other upside to this is: if something goes wrong, finding the code will allow you to find everything that relates to the project.

I also use Windows+r and type the drive address to go directly drive where I keep the thing I am looking for. Tapping the first letter of the folder that it resides in take you to the folder (keep tapping it and it will cycle through every file and folder beginning with that letter, or you can type the first 2 letter of the file/folder). Microsoft have actually done a really good job of keyboard shortcuts for just about everything
I think we're on the same page. I, too, assign a folder (with subfolders as required) in Windows and access it via Windows Explorer.

My point is that the PE6 Workspace Explorer won't even allow you to store "pointers" to files that it doesn't recognize, so I can't really see much point to it.

For example, if I'm gleefully banging code in PE6, and then want to double check my printed circuit artwork to verify a pin connection, I STILL have to use Windows Explorer to open my printed circuit file. The workspace explorer won't even let me store the NAME of the file, since it's not "compatable".