Interfacing to APDS-9960

JSDL

Hi all, does anyone have any experience interfacing an APDS-9960 breakout board to a Picaxe for gesture sensing? I am reading the datasheet but am having some trouble understanding how to configure it. I am looking to use it as motion control for a simple robot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JSDL

Thanks, I already have the data sheet as I mentioned, but they can be a bit cumbersome to understand for the average person sometimes. Was hoping to get a code snippet to get started.

premelec

I assumed YOU had the data sheet but others like myself might want to know what it is - so many numbers of parts these days! Did you do a forum search? I didn't find any - however usually Sparkfun has some sort of tutorial or adafruit - probably worth a look... and convert C to BASIC ;-0

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I did find some example code for Microsoft C# ( which is close to C ) and seems to be self-contained except for the I2C interfacing etc which would not be needed ...

https://github.com/veler/APDS-9960_RGB_and_Gesture_Sensor-

That, with the datasheet, should give an insight into how the APDS-9960 functions. It seems there's some sort of FIFO buffer required for reading gesture data, so that suggests repeated reads until data turns up and multiple reads may be required to determine the gesture.

It should be possible to get things working but it's possibly going to take effort and not easily tested without the actual hardware.