LED strips, are there any real white ones, not RGB ?

Buzby

Hi All,

I want a LED strip that can do individual control, like the APA102 based strips, but I want all the LEDs to be 'warm' white,

All I can find are RGB strips, are there any single colours equivalents ?.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

Well, I've spent the last hour searching eBay and Amazon for addressable white LED strips, using every different combination of seach terms.

The closest I've found is : https://www.amazon.co.uk/APA102-Digital-White-Addressable-Weatherproof/dp/B01N6PX7Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522222841&sr=8-1&keywords=apa102+white&dpID=41VOFUhnUaL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Unfortunately this has a white PCB, I need black.

This other strip has a black PCB but is RGB, is a fraction of the price of the white LED strip, and includes a remote controller and PSU !.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tingkam®-Waterproof-Flexible-Decoration-Controller/dp/B072X6VGCR/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1522223995&sr=8-15&keywords=LED+black+white

I need 4m of these lights, and I definitely need individual control by a PICAXE.

I'll keep searching !.

Cheers,

Buzby

AllyCat

Hi,

Also the 6000K of the Amazon strips is certainly not "Warm" White. :(

Not a black PCB and probably not a price you want to contemplate, but it appears they do exist directly from a UK source.

Cheers, Alan.

geezer88

Well, I've spent the last hour searching eBay and Amazon for addressable white LED strips, using every different combination of seach terms.
The closest I've found is : https://www.amazon.co.uk/APA102-Digital-White-Addressable-Weatherproof/dp/B01N6PX7Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522222841&sr=8-1&keywords=apa102+white&dpID=41VOFUhnUaL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Unfortunately this has a white PCB, I need black.
I'll keep searching !.
Cheers,
Buzby
How about black spray paint? If you can find some small plastic caps as used to protect pipes, valves, etc for shipping, or maybe used to cap vacuum lines on automobiles, a dozen or so would let you spray a section, then move on down the line. Tedious, but doable.
tom

Buzby

... This other strip has a black PCB but is RGB, is a fraction of the price of the white LED strip, and includes a remote controller and PSU !.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tingkam®-Waterproof-Flexible-Decoration-Controller/dp/B072X6VGCR/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1522223995&sr=8-15&keywords=LED+black+white ...
Just a heads-up if anyone is thinking of buying the strip shown above, it's not addressable LEDs, just paralleled 4-wire RGBs.

Still, it's not a bad price for 5 metres of RGB LEDs, a 12vdc 2.5A PSU, a 44 key remote, a neat IR receiver, and an easily hackable control box.

It looks like I'm going to have to shell out a lot more to get what I want.

Cheers,

Buzby

newplumber

buzby said:
I want a LED strip that can do individual control, like the APA102 based strips, but I want all the LEDs to be 'warm' white
I can't find the ones i ordered but here is some similar which are warm white 16.4 ft
https://www.amazon.com/Mokungit-5M-Individually-Addressabled-Non-waterproof/dp/B01IX3KQMM/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1523038204&sr=8-26&keywords=apa102

I don't know how many you need per meter but i believe mine are the same 30 per meter
and after adding alot of caps to the strip my testing is still going strong never missing a beat (fingers crossed)

Buzby

Thanks !.

That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Warm white, APA102 addressable, black backing, 3.3cm spacing, and 5M is plenty for my application.

Just ordered some.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

What is going on here ?

Amazon_order_1.PNG

Amazon_order_3.PNG

I ordered this strip for $23.90, then re-loaded the original page.

The price went up to $44.88 !!!.

Even if I clicked the 'Buy again' button on my order confirmation the price is still $44.88.

Methinks there is some funny business going on here. I've read about websites changing prices according to the buyers location, and I think this is something like that.

Buyer beware.

Cheers,

Buzby

newplumber

buzby said:
The price went up to $44.88 !!!.
thats horrible ...ya something went berserk with amazon....I'm not in England so I don't know what happen
did you click on next minute shipping? (joking)
Hopefully you can get it figured out.

newplumber

I see "NOW" the price just jumped to $44.88 ....they can't do that....especially to picaxe projectable member

wow your luck is like mine ....(thinking)....well close to like my luck.....the price would of been 233.90 if I tried to buy them

Buzby

LEDs arrived last week, just got round to programming them.

They look a really cool white, much better than RGB mixed, especially on very low levels.

Unfortunately the seller seems to have stopped selling them at any price. :(

Cheers,

Buzby

newplumber

LEDs arrived last week, just got round to programming them.

They look a really cool white, much better than RGB mixed, especially on very low levels.
Well thats good, for me its always fun playing around with those apa102 strips ...I'm almost done testing my stair leds , after adding capacitors
and scrolling the brightness end to end (24-7) ...they haven't missed a beat ...but we shall see what happens when i reinstall them :) (hoping for good luck)