HMC5883L Magnetometer Module

BESQUEUT

Hi', how to build simple program for communication with HMC5883L Magnetometer Module ?
Thank"s
Welcome...
As any 3D magnetometer, you can read some usable values if chip if perfectly horizontal...
If not, this will be very tricky with a Picaxe...

Ybloch

Welcome...
As any 3D magnetometer, you can read some usable values if chip if perfectly horizontal...
If not, this will be very tricky with a Picaxe...
Hi' friends. Really i tried all of the options and did not reached good result. Only 255 i have got from all channels.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Hi' friends. Really i tried all of the options and did not reached good result. Only 255 i have got from all channels.
That usually indicates an I2C bus wiring issue or not using the correct I2C Device ID in the HI2CSETUP command. The PICAXE uses an 8-bit Device ID with the lsb set to zero.

eggdweather

How old is your device? A Chinese supplier purchased the design rights of the 5883 when National made it obsolete and changed the I2C address to 0x1D and the reading protocol but did not tell anyone (in the west anyway) the result is aa lot of device don't work as expected, search for 5883 reading problems as others have solved the new device interface issues. Using an 6050 is far better and it gives a usable reading when not horizontal as it has an accelerometer.