Help when coding with two 08M in circuit

bexar

When I'm writing the basic code for a circuit with two 08M controllers , how do I indicate which code blocks are for the first 08M and which code blocks are for the second 08M. How can they be identified and/or designated in the program?? Can you supply me with a code snippet as an example??

Thank you!

techElder

The quick answer is that each one has its own program.

Now, if this is your question, you could code one program that can "go both ways", but that would depend on what your application is and how each PICAXE will respond to the other.

More info on the app and the interaction between processors, please. A schematic means you have thought your app into an actual design.

Are you really using PICAXE 08M or could you be using 08M2?

bexar

Now, if this is your question, you could code one program that can "go both ways", but that would depend on what your application is and how each PICAXE will respond to the other.

More info on the app and the interaction between processors, please. A schematic means you have thought your app into an actual design.

Are you really using PICAXE 08M or could you be using 08M2?
Tex,

Thank you for your response. What I'm trying to do is first set up this simple project in VSM in an effort to get the data transfer elements working correctly, before adding the rf tx/rx elements in the actual project. The project is a remote water tank level reading system where at the tank the water pressure is read, then level information is sent via 433mhz tx to the receiver station where the water level info is received , decoded and displayed on a serial lcd display. Of course in the actual application I will have two separate 08m or 08m2 coded. RF water tank level systems have been around for a long time, but frankly I don't have a lot of experience and using VSM to get my head wrapped around the data transfer elements.

VSM wise, my thoughts are to have a 08m # 1 receive a adc input replicating the pressure sensor voltage then send that data out the serout line to 08m # 2 serin line, then see how that information displays on a lcd panel attached to the 08m # 2. I was hoping to get both 08Ms on the VSM design so I could see how they interact, but wasn't sure how to write the code to where each 08N could be designated.

As indicated before, in the actual project I understand that each 08M will be coded with a different program. I have both 08M and 08M2 on hand, but right now just working on the 'proof of concept' with VSM. I just want to make sure that I understand the data transfer elements before tackling the RF elements.

As a Ft Worth native, then working and retiring from TI and now living in Australia, I'm always interested in talking with someone from Texas. Mind if I ask where in Texas you are located? I have kids and grandkids living in Texas, usually I visit them at least once a year. However, having some medical problems right now, so not sure when my next visit will be. Family in Dallas, Wichita Falls area. And life long friends in Mineral Wells and Weatherford area.

Again, 'thank you' for your reply!!

bexar

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Using VSM, each PICAXE in the circuit can have its own program specified for it.

If you click the menu options, Help -> Sample Designs -> (Registered PICAXE VSM Samples) -> Commands -> Serin command.DSN, that will select a dual PICAXE 08M example where one sends to the other.

If you go up to the Source menu option, there will be two programs shown; the "serout command.bas" and "serin command.bas" which run in the respective PICAXE chips.

techElder

Tex, ... As a Ft Worth native, then working and retiring from TI and now living in Australia, I'm always interested in talking with someone from Texas. Mind if I ask where in Texas you are located? ...
Sent you a private message.

reywas

Using VSM, each PICAXE in the circuit can have its own program specified for it.

If you click the menu options, Help -> Sample Designs -> (Registered PICAXE VSM Samples) -> Commands -> Serin command.DSN, that will select a dual PICAXE 08M example where one sends to the other.

If you go up to the Source menu option, there will be two programs shown; the "serout command.bas" and "serin command.bas" which run in the respective PICAXE chips.
Are these sample programs available outside of VSM?

oracacle

this is a lot harder than it sounds. I have system similar to that but could, in theory and software at least, daisy chain upto 250 08m2 together. The code that allow them to be any part the chain is more complex than I am happy to admit to. Each 08m2 has 128 lines of code just to get initialised, I chain of just three takes a little over seconds to get to a point where they are ready to run. Some complexity arises from certain requirements of the system, it took a long time to work out the kinks and I feel it may still be a little slow to startup.