Is it me? Is it you? Is it Them? Windows 10 install.

lauriet

Hi, I have been happily using the Picaxe Editor for many years on several machines, but rashly decided to clear out some 'junk' on one poorly resourced machine when it started nagging to do a system (win10) update but complained it did not have enough space. After the clearout, the Simulator in the Editor fell about all over the place, requiring the task manager to stop it.

Soooo, having prudently saved my work and deleted all the programs, I completed the Win10 update download, installed it and the Editor and tried again. Still the Simulator had a mind of its own.

Soooo, I cleared out the whole machine and did a fresh install of the downloaded Win10, and then of the Editor; still the Simulator seriously misbehaves, frequently reporting failure to respond and having serious delays in the simulation panel.

To me, this suggests firstly that I initially deleted something important, but have no reports of what it is, but more importantly for a newcomer the Editor simulator will not run correctly in the latest Windows 10 version (1709). This is probably untrue but I still don't know what the problem is.

Any assistance?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Start the simulation in step mode (right click over the Run button). Then adjust the simulation delay slider (bottom right) to a a larger value and run. Does that help?

lauriet

Thank you for your interest and suggestion.
I have adjusted the delay slider following your direction, and can then get the expected functionality down to a delay value of 110ms. Reducing it beyond that introduces hesitations, then the simulation continues to run but all the user interface fails - slider adjustment, simulation inputs, simulator controls, close box.
So I assume some resource is running low? Is there any adjustment I can make, or learn to live with it/revert to older windows version/use a higher specified machine?
Thanks.

Buzby

... I have adjusted the delay slider following your direction, and can then get the expected functionality down to a delay value of 110ms. Reducing it beyond that introduces hesitations, then the simulation continues to run but all the user interface fails ...
I've had that exact same result since PE6 first came out. I asked what the minimum PC spec was needed to run PE6, but got no reply.

Personally, I don't think it's PC spec issue, but I haven't much clue what else it could be.

It's academic for me at the moment anyway, I've gone back to PE5, because PE6 can't handle my current project properly.

Cheers,

Buzby

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've gone back to PE5, because PE6 can't handle my current project properly.
If you can let us know what issues you are running into we may be able to offer advice and we can consider whether anything needs to change or could be done better with respect to PE6 in the future.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
#slot 4 on 20X2 !
That's fair enough. That issue has been logged, a solution identified, I believe it will be resolved, and the fix released.

Technically it's not an issue with PE6; it is an issue only in the 20X2 compiler, but, yes, it all comes as a bundle, so that would be splitting hairs.

The main point was that we cannot fix things if we don't know what is causing problems. The sooner we know the sooner we can have them fixed or dealt with. We do test what we release but some things always get missed, user's systems are often quite different to others.

For issues which are a result of moving from PE5 to PE6 we had expected those to be picked up by people as they migrated and more people started to use PE6. Obviously that wasn't the case for the #SLOT 4 issue.