Is there any way of changing the outputs and inputs on an 18/18X/18A chip because Picaxe Editor isn't recognising my 18M2 for my tech project and i need an answer by 7pm GMT.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Short answer is no; the 18, 18A and 18X all have fixed input only or output only pins.

PE might simply not be recognising your 18M2 because it's needing a Hard Reset procedure to download.

Short answer is no; the 18, 18A and 18X all have fixed input only or output only pins.

PE might simply not be recognising your 18M2 because it's needing a Hard Reset procedure to download.
It isn't the picaxe editor it is the chip. But I have no other 18M2 chips which is what I need.

AllyCat

Hi,

A Hard Reset can be needed if the chip is not responding to the PEs commands because of having used certain commands in the program previously loaded. It's page 50 on that link:

1) Disconnect the power supply.
2) Wait until all power supply decoupling capacitors have discharged (can take up to 30 seconds or more depending on circuit design).
3) Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
4) Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen.
5) Reconnect the power supply

There can be a "knack" to getting the timing right and the "Progress Bar" may behave a little differently in PE6, so you may need to try several times. But it very often is the solution (unless you really have "destroyed" the PICaxe).

Cheers, Alan

Well I didn't think I had destroyed the picaxe but i tried it multiple times on different computers using different power supplies and cables.

It had worked before on these computers but suddenly wouldn't get recognised today, however other chips were recognised