Firmware Revision Level

techElder

There doesn't seem to be any date on the current production revision.

I'm wondering if a PICAXE 20X2 bought for store inventory in November of 2017 would have a "C.3" revision?

Vendors / customers don't have any way to tell what the revision is without programming the PICAXE.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
All PICAXE which come off the production line have the latest firmware in them. So a 20X2 shipped from us last year will be C.3 firmware.

techElder

In PE5, "Check Firmware Version" will work.
I know, but there is no other way, so vendors with inventory can't answer the question about revision level without lies or stating when their inventory was purchased. I like the ones that don't lie.

Isn't it fun being in business knowing there's at least one more problem lurking there in the dark? :D

Thanks Hippy. Your statement is good enough for me!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
PICAXE chips which have older firmware in them can be returned to us to be upgraded to the latest firmware that chip will support.

matchbox

Does anyone have a list of the firmware upgrades? And what the changes are with each upgrade?
It would be nice to know, if an upgrade would be useful to me. I have half a dozen from 3 years back, that are new. Wondering if its worth taking up your offer Hippy.

inglewoodpete

That only works so far, Circuit. There are no dates listed for that revision history. An oversight in my opinion.
Having returned batches of 28X1s for upgrading a few years ago, I found the service was great but the cost of international postage/handling was prohibitive. If you live outside the UK and you only have a few chips, it's probably cheaper to buy new replacements (but, as Tex says, beware old stock).

Peter (on the road in New Zealand)

matchbox

That only works so far, Circuit. There are no dates listed for that revision history. An oversight in my opinion.
I agree. It would be good to have total revision history. In the case of having chips from a few revisions ago. That way we could see all the additions, and not just what was gained on the latest one.

Circuit

I agree. It would be good to have total revision history. In the case of having chips from a few revisions ago. That way we could see all the additions, and not just what was gained on the latest one.
I have a recollection of seeing such listings in a fuller form; each version of the firmware listed in order but I cannot see these now. Also, for those of us who have been "PICAXEing" for a number of years and have a collection of now obsolete but still useful chips, it would be helpful to have the "limitations" of the firmware release history on each of those listed somewhere as well. @Hippy or @Technical - are these listed somewhere still and we are just missing seeing them?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We don't quite follow this request, all the revisions ever made to that particular part are already listed, not just the latest one? e.g. for the 18M2 it is here from v2.B (first release of 18M2) through to D.A (current release of 18M2+):

http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAXE-Chips/PICAXE-18M2-microcontroller/#tRevisionHistory

westaust55

With PE5 there was a revision list as a text file installed in the PE directory/folder.

Not at a PC with PE6 so unable to check/verify at the moment.

Edit: okay Technical has provided a link to the on-line revision list.

Circuit

With PE5 there was a revision list as a text file installed in the PE directory/folder.

Not at a PC with PE6 so unable to check/verify at the moment.

Edit: okay Technical has provided a link to the on-line revision list.
That's what I was thinking of... Yes, I found it as "firmware.txt" last dated 2012. Titled; *** PICAXE FIRMWARE REVISION SUMMARY *** in the PE5 installation.
This gives an extensive listing of all the versions of each chip and the changes in the firmware. Unfortunately it is blank in the PE6 installation - it has not been updated for the latest firmware versions.

matchbox

We don't quite follow this request, all the revisions ever made to that particular part are already listed, not just the latest one? e.g. for the 18M2 it is here from v2.B (first release of 18M2) through to D.A (current release of 18M2+):

http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAXE-Chips/PICAXE-18M2-microcontroller/#tRevisionHistory
Thanks Tech
I suppose, I was just expecting the possibility of more firmware revisions on chips like the 08M2 and 14M2 etc. And I thought they may have been more upgrades before the current.
My bad:eek:

Last edited: