Fingerprint Scanner

newplumber

Thats cool texas ...except I always have to much glue on my hands for it to work
people seem to pay there bills faster if I shove my whole hand in the glue can after i'm done
shows i worked real hard :)
But for reals it seems pretty neat I might try one out when i get a office job

erco

Daddy like! I've been considering an electronic deadbolt with a keypad, but this would be even better for the kiddos.

Next Tex, please find me a $30 motorized deadbolt and we're cookin' with gas.

AllyCat

Hi,

"Power Consumption:12 volts" (continuous) is rather uninformative (Watts/Amps ?). :confused:

Not a genuine deadlock, but these (also available on ebay at a higher price) work remarkably well in association with a "seized" or inaccessible "Yale" style lock (some of which do have deadlock capabilities). I've used one for many years with just a backup PP3 cell (to release it) in case the mains power does fail.

But back on topic, that's a fascinating sensor, it looks as if the basic "Go/NoGo" operation should be easy for a PICaxe. But the raw data "images" appear to be almost 65k Bytes each (>1 minute at 9600 baud?) and the "larger" version has 3000 of them! Or is the ARM doing some clever data compression?

Cheers, Alan.

techElder

But the raw data "images" appear to be almost 65k Bytes each (>1 minute at 9600 baud?) and the "larger" version has 3000 of them! Or is the ARM doing some clever data compression?
It is my understanding that no images are transferred in the identification process. You may transfer images (256x256), but that probably means that your system is wanting to do the processing which, of course, would be out of the capabilities of a simple MCU.

The ARM is doing the identifying internally, the local MCU is only transferring commands and responses. (Starting at page 23 in the Programming Guide.)

The baudrate goes up to 115,200.

techElder

I didn't think to search the forum before I posted, or I would have given attributes to "Pauldesign." Good catch, Hippy!

According to Sparkfun and ADH-Tech the previous versions were hard to work with, but there does seem to be a "library" of routines available in 'C'.

I'm glad to see the technology advanced to this version, and that the company has grown instead of gone out of business. That's progress!

stan74

My old hp laptop has a thumb scanner thing. It doesn't do anything in win 7/10. Looks like the 128 sensor used in a very long line follower project on the forum.