Serial over Ethernet (Program Picaxe connected to another computer over internet)

PhilHornby

Is the "Serial over Ethernet (Program Picaxe connected to another computer over internet)" feature currently functional?

The Help file tells me to use the "Wizard" within Programming Editor, but I can find no "wizard" as such, just a Config. program (which asks me questions I don't know the answer to!) The instructions (SEC.PDF) talk about "Master" and "Slave", but the config. program uses "Client" and "Server". Which is which?

I've tried it on Windows 7 32bit and Windows 10 64bit - and both give error messages (mainly "sec_GetConnectionsList failed with error - 233"). The install program doesn't seem to do anything at all on Windows 10 and nothing significant on Windows 7.

I had a look on the Eltima website and the version of Serial to Ethernet Connector for Windows there is a good 5 years newer than that shipped with Picaxe Editor (Shipped sec_service.exe is 6.1.512.0)

What's the story?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
File>Options>COM Port>Launch SEC Wizard

Master computer is the server, remote slave computer is the client.

connect_service error - This error message is generally because the computer needs a restart (you should restart both the computers after installing the service on each).

getConnectionsList error - You need to use the 'add' button to setup the connection at both ends to create a valid connection before the system can be used. Its basically telling you don't have any valid connections out to other computers yet.

Last edited:

PhilHornby

BREAK?

File>Options>COM Port>Launch SEC Wizard

Master computer is the server, remote slave computer is the client.
Having rebooted, I have managed to get something working. I have come to the conclusion that the software doesn't actually care which end is Client and which end is Server - so long as there is one of each.

I have got as far as successfully sending serial data from a Windows 10 machine (using PUTTY) -> Windows 7 machine's attached AXE027 (verified with 'Scope, Logic Analyser and Wireshark :rolleyes:)
Comparing and contrasting what happens when the Picaxe Editor is run on the Windows 7 m/c, with what (doesn't) happen when it is talking to the Virtual Port on the Windows 10 m/c, I would say that the problem is with the initial BREAK - there being no sign of it.

On the Advanced Settings, I guessed that "network.break.enable = 1" might help - but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Are there any other settings I should modify from default? (I already set Baud to 4800,N,8,1) - which is what the Salae software autobaud-detected the AXE027's o/p as.

Client_Master.jpgServer_Slave.jpg

This pair of screen shots are from a test with the AXE027 equipped Windows 7 machine as Server and the Windows 10 machine (running Picaxe Editor) as Client - but as previously indicated, I have tried it both ways round. [192.168.100.8 has the Virtual Com port (COM10:) and 192.168.100.3 has the AXE027 (COM3:)

Last edited:

PhilHornby

More screen shots

Picaxe Editor on Windows 10 -> Virtual Port. (FAIL) TestLinkFail.jpg

Picaxe Editor (Compiler) on Window 7 - AXE027. (SUCCESS) CommsSuccessServerSlave.jpg

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Baud rate and break should be automatic. Your settings look correct, but we believe we have only ever testing on win7 to win7 so will try a win10 machine next week.

If you are not seeing the break at the remote end it could be PE6 is sending it too early - you need up to 5 seconds or so after opening the COM port for the 'link' to establish itself. So basically the download process is slightly modified -
-open the com port, wait an extra 5 seconds, then do the normal download (ie send break).

If we remember correctly the extra delay is triggered in PE6 by the virtual COM port name and/or a registry setting, so we need to check this is as expected. What does device manger (pe6 com port drop down list) call your virtual port?

PhilHornby

What does device manger (pe6 com port drop down list) call your virtual port?
When I looked for it previously, I couldn't find it listed under any category - which was a bit puzzling.

However, a double-check reveals it to be there now, listed - as you'd expect - under "Ports (COM & LPT)", as "PICAXE Virtual COM Port (COM10)". I'm not entirely sure why I didn't spot it before...

Something I'd not noticed, is that the Driver is not digitally-signed. I have Windows 10 running in "Test Mode, so it installed it without issue; presumably on a standard installation, this would not be the case.

ComPort10.jpg

Last edited:

PhilHornby

A bit more info.

I'd not noticed before, but PUTTY has a "Special Command" > "BREAK" option. When I invoke it on the Windows 7 machine (with the AXE027), it generates a 400mS Break condition that I can see on the 'scope.

If I repeat the command on the Windows 10 machine with the Virtual Comm port, I do not see this signal - even though normal characters can be transmitted.

Also, I had a go at installing the Picaxe_SEC/Eltima software on a fairly pristine Windows 10 Virtual Machine. The Sec_Service installs and runs, but there is no sign of the evsbc7 and evserial drivers. There are no error messages from the Setup procedure - just a subliminal flash of a background command window, which I assume is the attempted installation of the drivers.

Attempting to add a Virtual Comm Port then gives: "SEC_Apply Connection failed with error - 50"

PhilHornby

I went the whole hog and installed the Trial edition of the latest version of Eltima Serial-to-Ethernet, along with their Serial Port monitor. I can see both PUTTY and Picaxe Editor request a BREAK, but there is absolutely no sign of it at the far end (either on the 'scope, or in the Serial Port Monitor).

It's for all the world, like this functionality doesn't work :confused:

(That wouldn't be without precedent: the maintenance log for V7.0.609 says "Fixed: a break signal from a device was not transmitted when using the Telnet protocol.", so they have had issues in the past, in this area.)

Interestingly, the Virtual Comport no longer shows up in Device Manager...though PUTTY can still use it to send ordinary data.

[HR][/HR]
Just before I pressed "SUBMIT", I thought I'd just try "TELNET" as the protocol ... and what do you know ... that does send BREAK :cool:

It doesn't actually make PicAxe Editor work - but that might be the name I gave to the port, or some other setting.

I'll revert to the original version of Serial-to-Ethernet and see if TELNET worked in that one...

Last edited:

PhilHornby

Working!

I went back to the version of Eltima Serial to Ethernet shipped with Picaxe Editor 6.0.9.3 and managed to get it working.

I have not yet confirmed if the drivers will install on a normally configured Windows 10 64bit system - I did a "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" first.

I configured the machine with the AXE027 as SERVER (which turns out to be in keeping with Eltima's documentation, when you finally track it down). On that machine, I selected the comms port with the AXE027 and the TELNET protocol option - everything else as default. (Firewall is currently off on that system).

I configured the PC with Picaxe Editor as CLIENT, created a Virtual Comms port and added the IP address of the SERVER machine (leaving the port as the default 5001). I selected the protocol as TELNET and left all other parameters as default.

At this point, I could select my Virtual port in Picaxe Editor, and "Check Picaxe Type connected" succeeded.

You say there's a Wizard to set this up? :p

Last edited:

PhilHornby

Further notes.

It turns out that the drivers will install on Windows 10 64bit - or at least they did on my virtual machine. You have to reboot twice - first after clicking on the "Install Drivers and Service" and again after adding the comms. port. (Else it says "Virtual com port error"). On the 2nd reboot, the comms. port finally makes an appearance in Device Manager.

The Server running on my Windows 7 machine eventually failed with "out of capacity". I toggled Telnet -> RAW and back again and it cleared it (for how long, I don't know!).

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback and glad you got there, we agree that the documentation (of PE5 era) does desperately need an update and this will nudge it back up the TODO list.