Using Serial Terminal application for debugging bluetooth

edmunds

Dear all,

I'm toying with HM-16 bluetooth module. I have it paired with an app on the phone and I can serout AT and serin OK back. Seems all good.

Now I would like to further explore the module, but doing all of it through serial commands and uploading firmware every time is very time consuming. I noticed a Send button in Serial Terminal window, but have never used it. Could I possibly connect the module (it is 5V tolerant) through the picaxe download cable somehow and use the terminal to "talk" to the module instead? If yes, could you explain how or point me to some documentation?

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You can use the PE6 Terminal as a general purpose terminal emulator. I am not sure what documentation there is; I will have to look but using it is pretty much the same as using it to communicate with a PICAXE.

The display shows what's received. Type in what you want to send and press Send.

If you select raw mode, enter "AT",13,10, press Send that would send AT<CR><LF>. What you want to send is specified how it would be for a SERTXD or SEROUT command.

If you select ASCII mode, and alter settings to send CR-LF on end, you just need to enter AT and press Send to achieve the same.

Your biggest problem will likely be that the AXE027 does not have the same polarity as the module you are connecting to. You would either need to reprogram the AXE027 to invert its polarity or build a signal inversion circuit.

When I have done similar I have used RS232 and the MAX chip on an AXE091 to invert the signal.

If you already have the module attached to a PICAXE you could possibly use that PICAXE to take commands in over the AXE027 cable connected to the PICAXE download circuit using SERRXD, pass them on to the module, report what's received back via SERTXD. That will be likely require an X2 to have the background received buffer but I imagine that's what you are already using.