programming 18M2 chip

zebedeus1957

HEllo,

I build a dashboard for my VW-T25 van and would use in the final model a 18M2 instead of 08M. To my surpise i am not ableto program or recognize the 18M2 chip with a serial port conection or with a AXE027 cable. Error message is "hardware not found". The 08M chips are no problem.

None of the five 18M2 i have work and all reply with the same error.

I am "missing" someting probable and i hope it isn't my brains -)

Does anyone of you know problem and even better has a solution.

Thanks for reading

The bear

Hi zebedeus1957,
At the risk of adding insult to injury, the power pins are not in the usual place. Just a thought.
PICAXE 18M2.jpg

Good luck.
Regards, bear..

PhilHornby

Hi zebedeus1957,
At the risk of adding insult to injury, the power pins are not in the usual place. Just a thought.
View attachment 21807
I've fallen foul of that one - I had smoke gently rising from the centre of my breadboard :eek:

I pulled the 18M2 out and the plastic congealed around the place where it had been, rendering that section of breadboard unusable for ever more :(

The 18M2 survived the experience though!

zebedeus1957

It's hard to insult me Bear. I have done realy stupid things in my life so no worries.

I found the problem and it is something stupid to add adyt my list: I designed a circuitboerd, build everything on it and afterwards i dicovered that i could "see" PICAXE chip to load a program.
I was caused by somthings silly; near earjack connector you have to place 2 resisters, 22k and one of 10k On the componet side no problem but on the cupperside i shortcutted the 10k Resister.

So take all together your bellys and have together a good laugh. ;-)

Thanks for the mental help.

Hans