​ ​ ​ ​ Led run thru/through/threw/thrue a cap - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Led run thru/through/threw/thrue a cap

Blog Entries

where are you trying to go with this?
    lol...nowhere i guess...after all it wouldn't be very useful even if i did get it to work...but was thinking with caps/transistors/resistors and stuff maybe
    it could work (for just a challenge) ...but after many tests ... and no future point ...I'm on to the next horrible project

About APA102... on my stair case seems I have a few bad apa102 chips in the string ...I replaced 8 or more and I must of ordered some poor quality ones
    the apa102's work great for about a month then one goes wierd causing the rest after it to not to work
    but I am getting good at replacing the bad ones
    The cause of the problem are unknown ....could be the vibration from using the stairs.
    and everytime I replace the bad apa102 it always seem that its the chip it self behind the led
    I am going to try ordering some good quality apa102 and replace the ones i have

that's not good... perhaps static electric discharges from carpeted stairs? [low humidity in winter...] - Did you put bypass capacitors on the power lines every few feet? [.1uf type...] and last - is your current / voltage well regulated. these small IC & LED units are a bit delicate... If you are having vibration effects it would often show in mechanical de-soldering or breaking of chip pin and such...

Blog Entries

The approach in post #8 also works well if you use a two lead RG led instead of two individual LEDs. Will control R or G with only 1 Picaxe output. Output pin high gives one color and output pin low gives the other color. JimS
    Never too old to learn. LXXXV years old.

Blog Entries

Did you put bypass capacitors on the power lines every few feet? [.1uf type...] and last - is your current / voltage well regulated
    @ premelec.... no I didn't add no caps ...good idea tho...when i replace both strings I will ...its run from a PC desktop power supply should be perfect power.
    I don't think its static ...but could be ....I keep my house well humidified...with a big cool mist one (one of the few things in the house I didn't LED it).
    never is there a bad solder joint that i found ...its all internal in the chip its self ...and its never the ones I replaced that goes bad....well so far anyway

@ jims yes thanks ...makes colors closer ....but after all my tests trying different things ...I graduated myself from learning unuseful uses with it all

PC power supplies are meant to feed large currents and may not regulate well at very low current draw... You might run you lights at less than full intensity - up to 50% - or run them on 4 volts...

APA102 LEDs are on a SPI bus. If there is a dodgy soldered joint somewhere, all of the downstream LED may stop working due to lack of data.

Blog Entries

@ premelec ...I do have the brightness turned down ....i think brightness is 0 - 255 ...and with out sensor being activated I think its running 20 and with activated I think its 180
    so when I get back home I will try to go full brightness (255) and see if that helps once activated...but I believe adding the caps would help the best

@ inglewoodpete ..I understand on a dodgy solder joint ... i seen many solder joints look perfect and still fail ...but it doesn't seem to be any
    on the chip connectors from all the tests I did ...the reason I believe its the apa102 chip its self is after i replaced the bad chip then the strip works like brand new
    and after many tests with the bad apa102 chips on my bench I could not get them to turn on with a different picaxe and make sure its connected right and continuity etc