Axe091 Hardware not recognized SOMETIMES

Profw

I have been using my Axe091 for years. With that stated on many occasions I have experienced (what I thought were defective 18m2 + chips)as well as other picaxe chips. Due to the fact that on these occasions when downloading a program to my chips I would receive an error hardware not found. I could put a new chip in it's place and it would work. Naturally I thought the chip was to blame so I would on a later date try the suspect chip again and it would work. Also note the new chip would also behave the same way on other occasions. So it's not the chips, I made a program board with the Axe 029 kit and it always works perfectly. Even with the suspect chips as the pile started to grow. I would check for all the usual's on the board (091) and to no avail. I could however,using the same chip keep trying the download, and sometimes it would work with the 091. Has anyone seen these events as well as I? Any ideas?

techElder

Prof, you are experiencing something that happens because of your program. It isn't a fault at all.

The solution is what is called a "HARD RESET."

Turn the power OFF to your AXE091.

Start your download (in the PE).

THEN quickly turn your power ON to your AXE091. You have a few seconds to do this. Generally, you'll see the download start in the lower right of your PE. It will be "searching" for hardware. That's when you turn on power.

Profw

Excellent! I installed an on off toggle switch for the power from the 7805. Followed your directions and it works flawlessly. Thank you. Now the curious side of me is wondering if anyone knows why this occurs and is there a software or hardware fix?

rq3

Excellent! I installed an on off toggle switch for the power from the 7805. Followed your directions and it works flawlessly. Thank you. Now the curious side of me is wondering if anyone knows why this occurs and is there a software or hardware fix?
I use a 3.5mm stereo connector to program my chips. Sometimes the connectors get dirty, and I have to scrub the male connector into the female connector to get good contact. The download process seems to be somewhat sensitive, depending on your download circuit. I know what my issue is, so I live with it.

Recommendations would be to use gold plated connectors in the program path. This is very low current stuff, and a small amount of added resistance may lead to failure.

techElder

... wondering if anyone knows why this occurs and is there a software or hardware fix?
You just performed the "fix." Like you have experienced, it all depends on what your program is doing at the time you want to reprogram the PICAXE.

Just the nature of the beast. It isn't from the connector conditions, although that may cause other similar problems.

This is how we get to use a PICAXE. Once you are used to it, there isn't a problem.

premelec

Many years ago I had some long SLEEPs in a program - and wondered why I couldn't reprogram... doesn't work without off/on while in SLEEP mode... ;-0