emailling programs to collaborator

lauriet

I am sure this has been answered before, but cannot find by searching:

I am writing a program for a project colleague to install on the project board he has.
If I send as a .bas attachment, he gets “Prohibited file type, This message contains an attachment whose file type is considered dangerous.”
If I send as rtf or pdf, he can paste into his editor but gets double line numbers, which he has to strip out.
Is there a process/format whereby I can send by email and he can just drop it into his editor?
Many thanks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
To include in email the two most commonly used tricks are to add .TXT to the file extension, or include it in a .ZIP or similar archive.

You can place it in a cloud or similar on-line storage so it can be downloaded form there. The best solution may be to put it under some cloud-based version control system.

techElder

What you are probably doing when you have problems sending your "pdf" file, is that you are actually converting it to a real "pdf" file.

I would suggest that you not convert the file. Just change the extension from .bas to .pdf.

Then remind your colleague to change the extension back to .bas upon receiving the file.

Or, like hippy says, just add ".pdf" or ".txt" to the end of the filename like this: "{filename}.bas.pdf" or "{filename}.bas.txt". Colleague must remove the added part before using the file.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would suggest that you not convert the file. Just change the extension from .bas to .pdf.
That should usually work but an ISP or email client may check the file contents match what the file extension claims it to be and block files which do not match. That can also be a problem when an ISP checks what is in a .ZIP file.