Reserved Word " ALL " ?

AllyCat

Hi,

In my current program I wrote the line "symbol ALL = b8" in PE6 and was surprised that the syntax check responded with "Syntax error on line ... at/before position 10". BTW "ALL" is the Low byte of the Low word of "Register A" (Long Word) which fits with a naming scheme that I'd adopted. "ALH" is accepted and I've currently patched the program by changing ALL to ALo .

Further investigation shows that this appears to be a "PE6 / M2" issue, which doesn't occur with PE5, nor if an X2 (or some legacy chips) is selected. This is with PE6.0.9.3, which might not be quite the latest version, and also AXEpad (1.5.1).

So it doesn't look much like a Reserved Word issue, but if it is, what does it do? Of course it's not a very good symbol name in lower case, looking too much like a11 (A eleven) in some fonts. Perhaps this has lead to the problem?

Cheers, Alan.

techElder

I've run into that before, Alan, but did not report it due to time constraints; then forgot. Thanks for bringing it up now.

Of course it's not a very good symbol name in lower case, looking too much like a11 (A eleven) in some fonts. Perhaps this has lead to the problem?
So, curiosity gets the best of me, what is the problem with using "a11" as a symbol name? :D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I can't off-hand give a definitive answer. It appears to be specific to M2 devices so I would guess it is related to something which only M2 devices support. I would expect it is a reserved word which can be used with something else, similar to "CLEAR ALL" if such a thing existed.

Added: It could result from "#SimTask All".

AllyCat

Hi,

So, curiosity gets the best of me, what is the problem with using "a11" as a symbol name? :D
Only Murphy's (aka Sod's) Law. Mis-copying "all" for "a11" or vice-versa could then produce a "mysterious" syntax error.

Thanks hippy. Yes, PICaxe Basic often uses predefined keywords to represent "numbers". But I did check that something like SERTXD(#ALL) doesn't print a number, but is itself reported as a syntax error (whilst PE5 reports it as an unknown variable).

Cheers, Alan.