PICAXE Programming Language in Notepad++

hey folks,

Slightly different query: Does anyone know if there's a way to get the PICAXE version of BASIC into Notepad++?

I know you can spend a few hours manually configuring Notepad++ with the language, but if there's a way to do it already, then why change it :)

I'm asking because I can't install the editor on a couple of my PCs, due to company policies, but they're happy for me to develop programs in Notepad++.

Cheers folks!

lbenson

Attached is a modified Notepad++ xml file originally developed for MMBasic released here: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8667&KW=notepad++

I've just now modified it somewhat for Picaxe Basic, but haven't been rigorous. I think there's a Picaxe Basic keyword list somewhere, but I don't have it ready to hand. Pasting it into the xml file would add more picaxe keywords.

To bring it into Notepad++, you click "Language", "Define your language", "Import". You have to close and restart for PicaxeBasic to show up in the Language list.

Rename the attached PXBasic.xml.txt file to PXBasic.xml. You can save it anywhere--you just have to know where it is when you import it.

Attachments

Flippin heck - thanks, Ibenson!

I wasn't expecting someone to go out of their way to make one, or did you just have it handy? ;-)

For sure, I'll go through and double check each command and add any missing commands. I'll do this at home, where I actually have the PICAXE editor :)

I'll put it on here once I'm done - one good deed deserves another, for sure :)

Cheers!

lbenson

I didn't go far out of my way. I already had the Micromite basic xml file, and spent a few minutes adding some picaxe keywords. If someone can point out the picaxe keyword list, it will be easy to replace the one which includes mmbasic keywords.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If you look in the PE6 installation directory, there is a Syntax sub-directory, and a set of XML files. PICAXEColourSchemeA.xml is probably the easiest to extract a list of command names etc from. That's probably -

C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\Syntax\PICAXEColourSchemeA.xml

lbenson

Thanks, hippy. Here is the updated Notepad++ xml file. I combined directives (#something) and keywords. I didn't go through the picaxe xml file in detail, so didn't see where else they might have been addressed, but had to add the following (and perhaps some others): and do else endif endselect loop or not

I didn't try to match the color scheme of PE5 or PE6.\\

The second attachment is an example of a picaxe program displayed in Notepad++.

Attachments

lbenson

Adding an xml Language file to Notepad++ is as shown in post 2. Removing one confused me. You click "Language", "User Defined Language", click the down arrow in the box next to "User Language". Then a "Remove" button will appear.

When replacing, if you don't "Remove" first, you will get a second copy with the same name.

I've never used this, since PE5/6 are so good, but it could be helpful if, as in OP's case, you can't install one of those. Doesn't help for downloading to the chip, though.

mikeyBoo

For-whatever-it’s-worth department: (incoherent ramblings of an old fart or useful)

If you only work with Picaxe, the Picaxe editor is very adequate. The only 2 important (at least for me) features that are missing are sorted function lists (a big deal for organizing your code) & vertical cut & paste. Now, I don’t do Picaxe apps that often, so it could be those features are there & I just don’t know where.

Notepad++ seems to be a pretty good free alternative similar to UltraEdit. It has function lists (can they be sorted?) & vertical cut & paste. If you only work in Windows, then for the price (free) it’s hard to beat.

However, if you like to play across Windows/Mac/Linux, UltraEdit is the ticket. Running Parallels on a Mac, you can have all 3 platforms running at the same time & go between them by a flick of the fingers. Convenient if you’re working on a cross-platform app or if you don’t wanna’ switch machines for Picaxe/Raspberry Pi… etc. projects. If you work for a large company where projects go back for decades & you need to be sure the same tool will extend into the future, it’s a no-brainer. The new macs with the one port sorta’ screw things up, but that’s a different subject.
I like that all the platforms get backed up at once with Time Machine, because I’m retired & deserve to be lazy.

As I’ve seen on this site many times: “Horses for Courses”. (i.e. Are you a casual or serious hobbyist? Is your company purchasing your toys/tools ?) That’s one thing I didn’t like about retiring: My company kept my favorite toys.