​ ​ ​ ​ Configuring HC-12 USB Module? (slightly OT) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Configuring HC-12 USB Module? (slightly OT)

I suppose it could be that Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft, so they "can't find" the correct driver in a search.
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXV
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Stockport, UK. On a good day, Cornwall UK

Smile Bend it to fit ...

Quote Originally Posted by Texasclodhopper View Post
    "Device driver software was not successfully installed." "HC USB Virtual COM Port X No driver found" ... Any clues on how I can find the correct driver for my Windows 7 PC?
    By strange coincidence, I went through this same process yesterday - getting one to work under Windows 7 on an old Samsung NC10. I could have sworn I'd had it working in the past, but apparently not!

The ID (of mine, at least) is VID_0482&PID_5740&REV_0200 - Google contributed nothing useful, other than lists of dubious "Driver Repair Kits", which are best avoided IMO. Vendor ID 0482 is Kyocera - and this is almost certainly not a Kyocera product!

On Windows 10, the device installs automatically and is identified as a "USB Serial Device". It uses the 11 year old, Microsoft provided, USBSER.SYS - which is also shipped with Windows 7, but as an even older version.

I don't know what the Windows 10 mechanism is, that allows it to identify the device as a generic USB Serial Port, but that mechanism is seemingly not present in Windows 7. I was about to embark on creating a .INF for it, when I had a change of heart and tried a shortcut - which worked...

Searching through all the .INFs (in C:\Windows\INF), I found a variety of devices that use USBSER.SYS. Rather than my usual technique of cloning one and adding the "Kyocera" VID and HC-USB identifier strings, I persuaded Windows 7 to just use one "as is". It complained that it couldn't be sure it would work - but it did

The one I picked was found in OEM72.INF - so it was something I've manually installed on the netbook in the past. It was listed as "MediaTek Inc." and supports the "Mediatek USB Port". I'm guessing this was intended to support a (ZTE?) Android phone.

To install it, I went through the "Update Driver" wizard. I picked "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Listed under "MediaTek Inc." was my "MediaTek USB Port", which I selected. This then triggered the Windows 7, "Don't blame us if this goes 'orribly wrong" message, which I chose to ignore. The result was a working (though oddly named) "MediaTek USB Port", that appears to work properly.

You probably don't have that particular Mediatek driver .INF - but you might find one of the others that works for you. (It takes some perseverance to find the chosen device in the list of 'drivers already on the computer'. I had a few false starts, where I ended up with something other than USBSER.SYS)

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by PhilHornby View Post
    Have fun
    He says with a perverse laugh heard across a great body of water!

Great information. After my breakfast, I'll dive in some more!

PS. The coincidence goes further in that I'm working on reworking your developmental HC-12 configuration code. More later.

Ain't life strange?
    - Tex
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by PhilHornby View Post
    Vendor ID 0482 is Kyocera - and this is almost certainly not a Kyocera product!
    But VID=0483 PID=5740, does seem to be for a virtual port driver. Maybe just coincidence.

Stockport, UK. On a good day, Cornwall UK

Quote Originally Posted by hippy View Post
    Maybe just coincidence.
    There's a lot of it about

VID_0483 appears to be STMicroelectronics - and I believe there's at least one STM chip on that USB 'dongle'. Entirely possible that someone mistyped, when they created it ...

One thing I'd forgotten, is that creating your own driver (.inf) triggers a whole load of new problems on Windows 7 (Vista?) and up - that they need to be digitally signed. (And signed by someone that Microsoft trust :sigh: )

HC-12Driver.jpg

Success! I had to do some Chinese translation (and add some hope!)

I did get the correct driver with an installation program for Windows 7. Couldn't believe it.

However, I'm now part of an international syndicate that sells counterfeit rubber balls to the tennis sports industry. At least my computer is ....
    - Tex