​ ​ ​ ​ Configuring HC-12 USB Module? (slightly OT)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Configuring HC-12 USB Module? (slightly OT)

Default Configuring HC-12 USB Module? (slightly OT)

After considerable success using HC-12 transceiver modules between PICAXE 28X2 chips, I am trying to configure one of the HC-12 modules with built in USB interface to connect the 433 data with my PC (VB app to be written at a later date). Refer to attached image.
    HC-12_USB.JPG
    The process seems simple enough. According to the supplier's webpages: If you want to modify parameters 433 wireless module, the user can hold down the button on the side of the module KEY, enter AT mode. Release the button after modifying the parameter KEY, AT mode module exit back to the serial pass-through mode."

My process:
    • Plug the module into a spare USB port on my PC.
    • Find the COM port allocated by Windows 10 (COM5)
    • Open PuTTY and create a serial session COM5:9600,8,1,N,XOn/XOff
    • Typing in the PuTTY terminal widow causes a yellow LED to flash inside the module, so I know I'm connected to the HC-12 module
    • I read that the HC-12 needs the characters in its commands to be in quick-fire fashion, so I have prepared several configuration commands in a text editor.
    • I then copy an AT+command to the PC's clipboard, hold the HC-12 module's button in and paste the command into PuTTY.
    • The echo I consistently get back in the PuTTY terminal is "ERROR". This tells me 3 things: (1) The HC-12 is in command mode; (2) The baud rate is correct and, sadly, (3) the command was not recognised.
    So, to my question: Has any other forum member managed to configure one of these HC-12 USB modules?

Ho hum! Perhaps one of the shortest threads on the forum

In PuTTY, <Control V> sends ASCII 22 (syn) to line. To paste text into the terminal window, I needed to right-click on the terminal screen. The HC-12 responds immediately with a positive acknowledgement.

So, pasting AT+C003 (with no <CR>/<LF>)
    Gets the response OK+C003

All happy again.

That's what I was going to say!

Glad you got it working in lightning speed!
    - Tex
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Tex Clodhopper LXV
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by inglewoodpete View Post
    In PuTTY, <Control V> sends ASCII 22 (syn) to line. To paste text into the terminal window, I needed to right-click on the terminal screen.
    This is a common issue with any application program which communicates what's typed with something else, depends on whether the OS or app intercepts a particular key press or the app passes it along.

When an app passes it on there will usually be a menu or right click option as you found to do the pasting. Sometimes Shift-Insert or Ctrl-Insert may also do the job.

Now my PC can monitor wireless "dialogues" between my PICAXEs. It will make debugging of wireless much simpler.

Stockport, UK. On a good day, Cornwall UK

I have a couple of these, and they work as advertised, except: after a reboot, they often have the yellow led solidly illuminated ... and don't work until removed and re-inserted. No idea why :-)

This morning I discovered one of these HC-12-USB devices in my stash. I had forgotten that I got it with some other HC-12 stuff!

Of course it doesn't work when I plug it into a USB port on my PC. Sigh.

"Device driver software was not successfully installed." "HC USB Virtual COM Port X No driver found"

"HC USB Virtual COM Port" is listed under "Other devices" with the yellow "!".

Any clues on how I can find the correct driver for my Windows 7 PC?
    - Tex
    “Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” ― Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Texasclodhopper View Post
    Any clues on how I can find the correct driver for my Windows 7 PC?
    Google or other search engine ?

Have a look for retailers who sell the device and they may indicate which drivers to use, may even provide those drivers.

In the device's Properties under Device Manager there should be a VID/PID for the USB which can usually help clarify/confirm which driver is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hippy View Post
    Google or other search engine ?

Have a look for retailers who sell the device and they may indicate which drivers to use, may even provide those drivers.

In the device's Properties under Device Manager there should be a VID/PID for the USB which can usually help clarify/confirm which driver is needed.
    Been there; done that.

I did find a web site that was totally in Chinese.

VID/PID shows:

USB\VID_0482&PID_5740&REV_0200
    USB\VID_0482&PID_5740
    - Tex

Tex, Identical VID/PID and REV as my USB/HC-12. Attached is the driver details (my PC in Win10/64). The driver loaded automatically for me when I first plugged it in a few weeks ago.
    HC-12 USB Driver.JPG