Verification error

roho

Can anything specific be gleaned from the error message:

Error:
Verification error - 0xFFFFFF98 transmitted but 0xFFFFFFF0 received at byte 0
?

It's from an 18M2, and I get the above message whenever I try to programme it in situ in a project board. Removing the chip and programming it in the development board (AXE091?) succeeds, but then the chip behaves nowhere near as expected when re-installed in the project board. I'm aware that verification errors are most commonly associated with power supply problems and I'll focus on that tomorrow when I start the fault finding, but if that error message points at something specifically then it's an advantage to know it. A quick measurement earlier showed the correct +5V on the 18M2 pin 14, and this supply is attached to a number of other boards containing 14M2s, all of which I have programmed without any difficulty.

inglewoodpete

I'd be looking closely at the configuration and values of the programming resistors too: 10k Gnd to Serial Input lead; 22k Serial Input lead to SerIn pin of chip. Remove the programming cable and the PICAXE chip from the board and use a multimeter on ohms range to measure the resistance between each of the pairs of pins.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If it's programming in the AXE091, not on your project board, and is not behaving as expected there, it suggests there is an issue with that board.

As well as supply and interface resistors I would also check for shorts on the board, particularly between legs or tracks. Especially around the download serial in and out legs.

It may be worth trying a simpler test program to see what results you get there -

Code:
#Picaxe 18M2
#Terminal 4800
Do
  SerTxd( "Working." )
  Pause 1000
Loop