Hope RFM210LCF-433D-A

PhilHornby

I know that not all 433MHz RF Receivers are created equal, so when I needed one for my latest project, I made sure I chose a Superhet version, over a TRF design. One of the first ones I found on eBay, was a Hope RFM210LCF-433D-A. Being branded and reasonably priced, this is the one I chose.

However, it soon became apparent that the performance of this device, is much better than the previous designs I have encountered.

Here is a comparison against another model, showing signal output in the absence of a received signal. The other model spits out all manner of noise, which is the accepted behaviour for these devices. However, the Hope doesn't do this - its output sits HIGH, with just a sporadic blip every 25mS or so :-

Upon receipt of data, its performance is impressive. This trace shows it intercepting the signal from an Imagintronix Temperature Sensor; it even successfully captured all 8 bits of the (throwaway) 'synchronising preamble' from the sensor. Note the data is delayed by some 200~400 µS compared with the other Receiver.

Last edited:

techElder

Great info, Phil!

US eBay search is bringing up this item "RFM210LCF-433D-A Module" for around US$50 with shipping.

Perhaps that isn't the same module?

PhilHornby

There's a few variants on a theme: without the "-A" on the end, it's a 1.8~3.6V version, and there's also a 315MHz variety (RFM210LCF-315D-A). The low-voltage version has an extra pin marked "Shutdown Logic Control Input)

There's a datasheet HERE (and also on the Hope website, though that's very slow to load for me.)

JPB33

That receiver looked interesting when you posted a few weeks ago.

Have you got any further with the project and did it come up to your expectations?

Thanks Peter

PhilHornby

Yes, I'm so impressed with it, I bought a couple more to keep in stock. Although there is a datasheet on the Hope site, I don't think it's a current model. I don't know if the "squelch" feature is common to
all 'Hope' modules and I couldn't find a reference in the datasheet.

The receiver seems extremely sensitive and the greatly reduced noise means that, for the first time, I've been able to use an interrupt to detect my signal. The project called for the shoe-horning of a Temperature, a Set Point and a Sensor No. into 24 bits (HS1527 format). With no room for a CRC I was expecting trouble - but by just waiting for two identical transmissions, it has, so far, given error-free results.

PhilHornby

These modules probably use Hope's 8 pin RF83C version of their 16 pin RFIC
I don't think it can be the RF83C ... the pinouts don't seem to match. The module's DATA pin is connected to Pin 3 of the IC, not Pin 5.

I tried to get a close-up of the IC markings:-

IMG_20171125_233737.jpg (Not a bad snap, for a 'camera-phone' :p)

manuka

Phil: Bravo - that's a particularly good pix under the circumstances! My mistake with the possible RF83C, as the module's RFIC & code indeed imply a CMOSTEK CMT2210 of quite recent date (YYWW = 2017 & 23rd week). Can you further confirm your module's pins 6 & 7 are unconnected (as indicated in the attached pix)?

I've run across CMOSTEK's so called NextGenRFTM programmable family (which save to embedded EEPROM memory), but hadn't realised they -ah- "stooped" to simpler offerings. Aside from the very clean data performance the RFIC is almost a laughably too easy "RF in-data out" ! There are other offerings, but the low supply need looks very handy for smell of an oily electron work too. A couple of NiMH,well used AAs, or a single LiFePO4 cell could handle this. It certainly could be worth rustling up some insights ! Stan.

Extra: Are those nifty data displays yours ? OK to use with credit ?

Attachments

Last edited:

JPB33

I'm interested to the point of ordering up some bits. Lots of choice but the rx is ok from your link--thanks.

What about the tx? Lots of choice but I'd like to pick something compatible first time especially with the predictable wait!

PhilHornby

Phil: Bravo - that's a particularly good pix under the circumstances!...Can you further confirm your module's pins 6 & 7 are unconnected as indicated in the attached pix?
Pic was taken on a Huawei P9, using an empty coffee mug as a tripod, using inbuilt 'flash' :) ... I've poked around the module with my meter and can't find any connections to 6 & 7.

him as well said:
Are those nifty data displays yours ? OK to use with credit ?
They are - you can do whatever you want with them - no credit necessary; I'll forego the royalties on this occasion :)

PhilHornby

I'm interested to the point of ordering up some bits. Lots of choice but the rx is ok from your link--thanks.

What about the tx? Lots of choice but I'd like to pick something compatible first time especially with the predictable wait!
There is a partner transmitter module - but its part no. escapes me at the moment. I've just been using cheapo FS1000A modules - widely available on eBay. The receivers I bought have actually been drop-shipped from Latvia - properly packaged, but a week or so in the shipping. Have a look at this (Polish) supplier I came across yesterday: https://www.tme.eu/en/katalog. They have quite a lot of HopeRF modules (for £1 and up!). Shipping (by UPS) is no dearer than CPC/Farnell either. They could be an interesting choice, for things that you normally have to resort to eBay/Aliexpress for. (I've not used them yet)

I normally use the following aerials, with good results: TRANSMITTER: Simple Coil, RECEIVER: something a little fancier

Incidentally, since you are talking about both Receivers and Tranmitters, I presume you have free-will with regards to both ends of the comms-link ... i.e. you're not trying to interface to an existing piece of hardware? In that case, my first choice would still be the HC-12 module - unless cost or time constraints were involved.

JPB33

Thanks for the info, I've ordered some now for the wait.....

I already have some FS1000A modules from a previous attempt, the rx supplied with them was very voltage sensitive and only managed a short distance.

It's a new project, a simple switch, just wanted to try the Hope modules after succeeding with the HC-12 thanks to lots of help from the forum!

manuka

Although HC-12 transceiver modules are VERY versatile,cost effective & great performers their setup & tweaking can daunt the faint hearted, even with Rob. Rozee's nifty GUI config. For simple work (educational etc) classic 433.92 MHz OOK/ASK still has a place, for which these new low supply/current drain & clean output CMOSTEK offerings look particularly suitable.

Many cheap 433.92 MHz transmitters are pretty feeble (only a few mW) & legally more powerful (10mW or 25 mW) TX modules from the likes of Dorji can give immediate link benefits. Using CMOSTEK's matching CMT2110A transmitter chip modules isn't probably critical, although it's mounting on Hope's 25 mW module may appeal for the likes of light weight 3V Li cell powered tracking/IoT etc. Stan.

Attachments

inglewoodpete

I'm with Stan on this one too: All the way with HC-12!

If using a 433.92 MHz OOK/ASK pair, make sure the receiver is crystal-locked (Stan's example above is). I must have half a dozen 433MHz ASK receivers in my 'wireless bits' drawer from so-called reputable sources that do not have an on-board crystal and are clearly not locked to the correct frequency.

Last edited:

JPB33

Thanks for the very clear guidance, its starting to make more sense now and I can see how a variety of transmitters are compatible and the appreciate the benifits of crystal (or is it saw?) control. I was expecting the mod to be something more complicated than ook being on off keying. So its cw without a bfo then.

The RFM110 family are very cheap but look like they are only for up to 3.6v? Must be fairly new?

manuka

The barebones RFM210LCF-433S1 receiver module also brings out the SDN pin that may suit "sleep" applications. This variant may further appeal to skinflints (myself included),as it's without the bulky header pins. Shipping may be hence somewhat cheaper - pins can be soldered on by the end user of course. Stan.

Attachments

manuka

HopeRF's Lisa advises they now have an "improved" version- the RFM210LH pictured. It's 3-5.5V supply however may not appeal for low drain work, & the trio of NC pins rather annoy. Samples are available from HopeRF at ~US$1 each (+$$ shipping). Stan.

Attachments

manuka

Months later - & distracted by Asian travel & a blistering Kiwi summer. I've had recent email & "article arm twisting" relating to these modules, so would welcome experiences ! Stan.

manuka

Recent local use of these HopeRF ASK modules shows reliable performance as good as,or even exceeding, that of HC-12 modules. Their typical ground level signal footprint in a small NZ town is good for several 100 metres, with LoS ~1km. Imports direct from China have been under US$1 each - p&p extra. Stan.

Last edited: