Idea on faster security hotel

newplumber

Hi
First of all its a sad day/week for all poeple involved in horrible Las Vegas shooting
And my prayers and love go out to the families of the victims

My idea is if I ever owned a hotel is to put in place at each room window a
super bright light shinning out so it could flash at one window at a time with a
picaxe chip displaying which window is closest to the problem (or in las vegas the insane shooter)
thus making it way faster to report where the problem is at from the outside. Of course all of you friends here
could make better ideas...I guess I am trying to help make it faster for the first responders.
Maybe each window device could be wireless and solar power friendly
all made from picaxe controls ...maybe later on I can start drawing a simple schematic
and do testing ...just a simple idea anyway
your friend
Mark

techElder

Even if you put metal detectors in every doorway of the building, psychopaths like this guy will find a way to do their dirty deeds. There is no way to deter them. That fact has been proven over and over.

Everyone sincerely wants to use their knowledge to solve this kind of problem, but there is no solution. There might be something that makes a certain segment of society "feel good" about "solving" the problem, but the problem will never be solved.

From tyrants to miscreants, the problem is that we are human and are therefore somewhat "defective"; some more than others.

PS. Moderators, this can very easily be a highly political thread.

newplumber

Thanks for your point texas ..I think we can keep political out of this thread and keep it to facts of what a picaxe chip can or can not do
Its true someone will always look/find for ways around a border/lock.

Buzby

There are plenty gunshot detection systems available, just Google 'gunshot detection'. They work by triangulating the location of the sound and/or flash using detectors mounted around the area being monitored. They have to be able to distinguish a gunshot whilst ignoring other effects, like fireworks, photographic flashguns and snare drums.

A PICAXE hasn't got the power to do this kind of signal processing.

However, Mark's idea might have a future.

Imagine a self-contained solar-powered gunshot sound detector mounted on the outside wall above each window of a hotel or similar. When it detects a shot it lights up, and simultaneously sends a radio signal to other detectors above nearby windows, which also light up. A signal would also be sent to the security office, using other detectors as a local network.

I'm sure a gadget like this could be mass produced and sold for less than $40 apiece, which probably means a medium sized hotel could be fitted out with a one-off cost of less than $40,000, a fraction of the cost of a wide-area detection system. ( See : https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/shotspotter-installed-in-city-streetlights-ge )

One of the unfortunate consequences of our modern communications, with real-time video and chattering know-alls, is that once a 'new' method of causing trouble is aired, there's sure to be more.

newplumber

Thanks buzby now we are talking ...you know way more then me and with your info the light
just got brighter ...for "ignoring other effects" seems a major challenge but I like it

newplumber

premelec

Good to consider $ per peak watt - probably you can get one at much less than $10/PkWt [but not with free shipping ;-0]... In any case 36 cell types are good for 12 volt battery charging and you can consider PVs as a constant current device [hence spec on short circuit current] with a peak power rating that varies with temperature some - [watts = volts x amps] usually about .4 to .48 volts per cell in the array but look at the specs.. They certainly work well when the sun shines and proportionately less well when it's cloudy and or part of the array is shaded. Around 100 watts per square foot full sun energy and PVs typically 10 to 20% efficient in converting this to electric. Have fun...

newplumber

Thanks premelec
I thought about buying a cheaper panel but figured to get better results for my test is to buy a larger one.
I read some picaxe forum (can't remember) where it goes into details about 12v car batterys how to keep them healthy
I'm sure there is charts of output power vrs sun/cloud/rain etc.. my test/goal is to see how much heat can be made from one solar panel
of course I will need to look at 12v heaters but the fun part is building the picaxe 20X2 to manage it all like I.E.
time of day : how much sun light : current output : temperature and etc and then save data per daylight hour
IMHO its possible because you/forums did all the hard work ..just have to read more
After my testing maybe I can jump into wireless control...or maybe not.