Picaxe Editor problem

Haku

Upgraded from Picaxe Editor 6.0.6.4 (BETA) because it was crashing on me and I lost edits, now I'm running 6.0.9.3 I get this popup error after programming the 28x2-5v chip I'm working with:

"Program Failed

Firmware >= B3 Setfreq em64 not supported by this firmware version"

Which really puzzles me, "setfreq em64" must be working because the timing results I'm seeing on my multimeter measuring hz are correct.

Anyone know what's going on? I don't want to have to install 6.0.6.4 (BETA) again and continue to suffer lost edits due to crashes.

AllyCat

Hi,

The Basic Command Reference implies that em64 is not supported for that particular "superceded" chip. However, AFAIK the digits after the em don't actually "do" anything; the hardware frequency is set by (four times) the frequency of the external resonator (crystal), whatever that might be. So you probably can just declare, for example, em32 and it will still work at the correct frequency.

I guess that that particular base PIC chip is not "guaranteed" to work at 64 MHz, but the principle of "overclocking" is quite well established in the computer market. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Haku

Thanks for the reply, Alan.

I did some investigating and found the 28x2-5v (PIC18F2529) I'm using is rated for 40mhz, after you mentioned the em number doesn't actually mean anything I wrote this little program to test on both variants:
Code:
#picaxe 28x2
setfreq em32
do
 toggle a.0
 pause 100
loop
The circuit for them has a 16mhz resonator, with the 28x2-5v's output being 37.364hz and the 28x2's output at 38.887hz, so I guess the old 28x2-5v is being overclocked to 64mhz. Not as accurate as the current 28x2 but the code I'm using can be fine tuned for whatever frequency the chip is running at :)

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As you have found, that older chip is rated to 40 not 64 so the message displayed is a correct 'warning' of this fact. However if you choose to overclock using an external 16MHz resonator rather than the (correct) 10MHz that is up to you!